With FIFA 23 now released into the wild, the game's meta is getting firmly established and having the right formation is becoming increasingly important.
Luckily, RadioTimes.com has teamed up with pro FIFA coach NealGuides who will be using his vast FIFA knowledge to help take your gameplay skills to the next level and avoid all the usual match mistakes.
You can also find his words of wisdom below in this very article, so read on for top tips on the best formation to use and the tactics that complement it!
Best FIFA 23 formation
"The best formation in FIFA 23 currently is the 5-1-2-2," NealGuides tells us. "It's a new formation in this iteration of FIFA. But the reason why it's so powerful is, this year, with a 5-1-2-2, that one in front of the defenders is a CDM.
More like this
"There has never been a five-back formation with a CDM before. And the reason why this makes it effective is, not only are the wingbacks very effective when you're going forward, but now you have that CDM to cover when you're out of possession, or if the wingbacks are far up. And that's what's becoming more of the meta right now. And therefore, right now as it stands, it's probably the best formation in FIFA 23."
Best FIFA 23 tactics
Formations and tactics go hand in hand, of course, and NealGuides sent over the tactics above to go with his favoured FIFA 23 formation - the aforementioned 5-1-2-2. Get those added to your gameplan and you won't regret it.
Tactics are a precise science, though, and you probably need to know the thinking behind them as well. With that in mind, NealGuides recommends checking out the video below that explains those tactical instructions in more detail.
Top FIFA 23 tips
Sharing his wisdom with us, NealGuides offered the following advice for players: "If I was to say three major top tips for someone who picks up FIFA 23 for the first time, the first one would be: do not run out with just centre-backs. A lot of new players tend to run out with their centre-backs and create massive holes in the back, and end up conceding. You're better off defending with your CDM and your midfield first, and using your defensive line as kind of a last-case resort, inside the box when you're defending.
"The second thing I would say is don't hold the run button. The run button, or the sprint button, is being held too much by players that are new to FIFA, because they think they need to run around. But when you run with the ball, not only did you push the ball away with each stride, it makes it difficult for you to take a touch, to manoeuvre into a space.
"It also stops you doing skill moves, because you can't do skill moves when you're running. But above all, the worst downside of the run button is left-stick dribbling. You can't left-stick dribble and run at the same time, and therefore a lot of new players, when they come to the game, they lose the ball - it's not necessarily because the players they're using are bad, it's because they use the run button too much. You should only use the run button if you're running onto a through ball, or if there is a ball in behind, or if there is clear and obvious space in front of you.
"The final tip would be: when you're passing inside FIFA 23, make sure you face a player before you pass the ball. From coaching many players, especially new players, one of the most common mistakes people make is that when they're making a pass to another player, they tend to not face them properly. If you do not face a player that you want to pass to, you'll end up misplacing the pass or the pass will go astray. So make sure you take a touch on your left analogue stick, you face a player, and then you make a pass to ensure and guarantee accuracy."
Read more on FIFA:
- FIFA 23 review - EA flounders in extra time
- FIFA 23 wonderkids - the best young players
- FIFA 23 cheap players - bargains and free agents
- FIFA 23 strikers - the best ST and CF
- FIFA 23 wingers - best LW, RW, LM and RM
- FIFA 23 goalkeepers - best GK for Career Mode or FUT
- FIFA 23 midfielders - best CDM, CM and CAM
- FIFA 23 defenders - best RB, LB, CD, LWB and RWB
- FIFA 23 fastest players - add some pace to your side
- FIFA 23 cheapest 84, 85 and 86-rated players - boss that SBC
- FIFA 23 FUT Squad Battles rewards - when and how to get them
- FIFA 23 FUT Division Rivals rewards - the key details
- FUT Champs FIFA 23 rewards - all the info you need
- Twitch Prime Gaming FIFA 23 - when do the rewards start?
- Is FIFA 23 down? How to check EA server status
- FIFA 23 lengthy players - pace meta explained
- Madfut 23 release date - when's it coming?
- FIFA 23 World Cup mode - everything we know
- FIFA 23 Garang Kuol - is he worth buying?
- Is FIFA 23 the last FIFA game? All the details
- FIFA 23 OTW - Ones to Watch revealed
- FIFA 23 TOTW - latest confirmed cards
- FIFA 23 Griddy - how to do the viral dance celebration
- FIFA 23 crossplay - new feature explained
- FIFA 23 ratings - the best players revealed
- FIFA 23 Ted Lasso - all modes confirmed
- FIFA 23 soundtrack - the songs of the season
- FIFA 23 chemistry - changes explained
- FIFA 23 Man Utd ratings - this year's squad rated
- FIFA 23 Arsenal ratings - the full squad
- FIFA 23 Jack Grealish - all his stats
- FIFA 23 price - how much does it cost?
- FIFA 23 web app - what you need to know
- FIFA 23 Heroes and Icons - all FUT World Cup cards
- EA Sports FC - what do we know about the reboot?
- FIFA soundtrack - every song from every game
The latest issue of Radio Times magazine is on sale now – subscribe now and get the next 12 issues for only £1. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to the Radio Times podcast with Jane Garvey.