- 1 large banana shallot, peeled and finely slice
- 250g cooked chestnuts
- 1.25 litres fresh chicken or vegetable stock
- 150ml double cream
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- FOR THE MIGAS
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 sprigs of thyme, picked
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled and crushed
- 1.Heat a medium saucepan over a medium heat and add a lug of olive oil. Sweat the shallots down slowly until soft and then add the chestnuts. Season well, pour over the stock and bring to the boil.
- 2.Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes to soften the chestnuts and reduce the stock. Once the chestnuts are soft, remove from the heat and add the cream. Stir well.
- 3.Blend the soup in a processor, adding the liquid a bit at a time. You want a fairly thick, soupy consistency. Season to taste and keep warm.
- 4.For the migas, fry the breadcrumbs with the garlic and thyme over a medium heat in plenty of olive oil. The crumbs should be golden brown. Season to taste and drain well.
- 5.Divide the soup between bowls and then sprinkle over the migas and serve with some extra thyme and olive oil.