We thought we’d said goodbye to Woody, Buzz and Jessie after Toy Story 3 back in 2010 but now Disney has revealed that a fourth film is hitting the big screen. The details are being kept closely under wraps at the moment, but there are a few morsels to whet our appetites as we patiently await a distant release date.
Here’s what we know so far…
1. John Lasseter – the man responsible for Toy Story and Toy Story 2 – is back in the director’s chair for the fourth outing. Based on the phenomenal success of those films, he’s a man we can trust.
2. Romance will be in the air this time around after Lasseter told the LA Times there will be a “love story” when the gang return. But who will it be…?
3. The plot will pick up where Toy Story 3 left off, when Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the rest of Andy’s toys were handed down to a little girl named Bonnie.
4. Disney Pixar says the film is due for release in June 2017.
5. Rashida Jones and Will McCormack, the writers and stars of 2012 rom-com Celeste and Jesse forever, have joined the writing team. Lasseter hopes that Jones – who plays Ann Perkins in US sitcom Parks and Recreation – will provide “a strong female voice in the writing of this.”
6. Lasseter says that even though he and the Toy Story writing team had spent years never discussing a fourth film, he liked the new idea so much, he “just could not stop thinking about it”.
So, now we just have to wait until 2017 for our next Toy Story fix. It’s quite fitting that just this week, Buzz Lightyear’s “To infinity… and beyond!” was voted the nation’s favourite film quote in the Radio Times poll. You lot clearly have good taste.