EastEnders 2023 summer preview: 5 spoilers from Chris Clenshaw
It promises to be a busy summer for the Slaters in particular.
Wow, deep breath, EastEnders fans...
It has been a dramatic journey in 2023 with hard-hitting storylines including the tragic loss of Lola Pearce-Brown (Danielle Harold), the HIV journey of Zack Hudson (James Farrar) who also faced the heartbreaking loss of baby Peach with Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty), and the pregnancy of 12-year-old Lily Slater (Lillia Turner).
If that wasn't enough, fans have also been treated to a steamy affair for Denise Fox (Diane Parish), Stacey Slater (Lacey Turner) turning to online sex work, a secret wife for Rocky Cotton (Brian Conley), and the unexpected reappearance of the late Roxy Mitchell (Rita Simons).
Yet, viewers really went wild following that epic Christmas flash-forward to a death in the Queen Vic with six of Walford's most prominent ladies, before fans were treated to the epic comeback of soap villainess Cindy Beale (Michelle Collins) and Walford stalwart Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt).
Now, as we look towards the rest of the summer, the acclaimed executive producer Chris Clenshaw has teased RadioTimes.com and other press about what lies ahead.
EastEnders 2023 summer preview: 5 spoilers from Chris Clenshaw
1. Theo Hawthorne's secret intentions
Yet, despite the concerns of Lily's dad Martin Fowler (James Bye), it seems Stacey Slater believes he is a stand-up guy. Is Stacey wrong to trust Theo?
Executive producer Chris Clenshaw teased: "So we've got a big Slater summer with Theo and what his true intentions are... which will be revealed."
Could some fans be correct and could Theo be more interested in Stacey out of all the Slaters?
2. Freddie Slater learns his true paternity
However, it soon became clear to Freddie that despite Billy being his mum's ex-husband and who she told him was his father, this was not the case.
Unbeknownst to Freddie, his biological father is a vile rapist named Graham Foster (played by Alex McSweeney), who raped Little Mo (Kacey Ainsworth) in 2003 and was later jailed for his crime in 2004.
After revealing that he was not Freddie's biological father to the teen, Billy maintained that it was Little Mo's choice of whether she should tell Freddie.
Now, Chris Clenshaw has revealed: "Freddie will finally find out the truth about his dad."
How will Freddie take this incredibly difficult news? And could we see a surprise return from Kacey Ainsworth as Little Mo?
3. Alfie Moon faces a dark storyline
Ever since returning to Walford last summer, Alfie Moon (Shane Richie) has not had the easiest time. Despite reuniting with his children, Alfie failed to win back his beloved ex-wife Kat Slater (Jessie Wallace) and she remains engaged to Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden).
Yet, Alfie did have his friendship with Linda Carter (Kellie Bright) and his job at the Queen Vic pub to rely on – until Linda's mother and new co-landlady Elaine Peacock (Harriet Thorpe) forced her to sack Alfie right after he had moved out of the Slaters' house and into a new flat.
"There's gonna be quite a tough road ahead for Alfie," revealed Chris Clenshaw of this summer's storyline.
Will Alfie face a struggle to bring in a household income amid the dire cost of living crisis, or could it be something even more difficult for the 'Man in the Moon'?
- EastEnders' explosive Cindy Beale comeback is a campy soap triumph
- EastEnders' Michelle Collins talks Cindy Beale witness protection story
- EastEnders' Ian Beale has heart attack and keeps huge secret from Cindy
- Will Jacqueline Jossa return full-time to EastEnders as Lauren Branning?
- When are Cindy and Ian Beale returning to EastEnders full-time?
- 15 EastEnders questions we still have after Cindy and Ian Beale's return
4. Kathy Beale and Rocky Cotton's dramatic wedding - with surprise guest
It has been a long time coming but Walford icon Kathy Beale (Gillian Taylforth) looks finally set to tie the knot to her former con artist fiancé Thomas "Rocky" Cotton, after he finally appeared to divorce his bitter ex-wife Jo Cotton (Vicki Michelle).
Kathy has also been keen to invite her son Ian Beale to the wedding despite having not seen him since he left Walford in January 2021.
Yet, unbeknownst to the Beale matriarch, her son is living in France with his presumed dead ex-wife and Kathy's old nemesis Cindy Beale, along with Kathy's estranged grandson Peter Beale (now played again by Thomas Law).
Speaking of the upcoming wedding, Chris Clenshaw teased: "We've got Rocky and Kathy's nuptials, which has an unexpected guest arrive."
Could Ian be about to make a comeback for Kathy's wedding, or could Bobby Beale (Clay Milner Russell) have persuaded Peter to return?
Alternatively, has Jo Cotton got a nasty surprise up her sleeve after it was teased that she had a blackmail plot in mind?
We'll have to wait and see if Kathy will become the next Mrs Cotton!
- EastEnders 2023 summer preview: 5 spoilers from Chris Clenshaw
- EastEnders boss Chris Clenshaw teases Cindy and Kathy Beale showdown
- EastEnders boss Chris Clenshaw promises “big” Christmas for the Beales
- EastEnders' Michelle Collins confirms flashbacks and Cindy Beale breakdown
- EastEnders boss Chris Clenshaw reveals impact of Cindy return on Knights
- EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt hypes up Ian reunions with Phil and Sharon
- EastEnders' Michelle Collins teases Cindy’s scenes with love rival Elaine
5. Flash-forward cufflinks return
However, the executive producer also revealed that the surprise guest is not all that viewers should look out for at Kathy and Rocky's wedding.
Clenshaw also confirmed: "Watch out for the cufflinks around those episodes. So keep your eyes peeled."
Fans will recall the electric Christmas flash-forward that occurred in February which depicted six women standing around a dead man's body on the floor – and one of the few clues we had were the amber cufflinks on his suit.
Nish Panesar actor Navin Chowdhry also recently teased filming something connected to the cufflinks too.
It seems we will finally have a clue of their connection to the death this summer...
- EastEnders cast: Who is joining, leaving and returning to the soap?
- EastEnders’ Heather Peace on whether Eve could kill Nish: ‘Anyone does anything if pushed’
- EastEnders' Danny Walters worried for Keanu in Christmas flash-forward
- EastEnders' George Knight proposes to Elaine and reveals mystery son
- EastEnders' Colin Salmon on personal reason he took George Knight role
EastEnders airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7:30pm on BBC One and from 6am on BBC iPlayer. Visit our dedicated EastEnders page for all the latest news, interviews and spoilers. If you’re looking for more to watch, check out our TV Guide and Streaming Guide.
Take part in the Screen Test, a project from Radio Times and the Universities of Sussex and Brighton, to explore the role of television and audio in our lives.