The new series of Would I Lie to You? is starting tonight at 8:30pm on BBC1… and it’s got us in the mood for telling some porkies ourselves. We’ve scrabbled around for some strange celebrity facts, and fabricated a few of our own – all you have to do is guess which is which…
1. Sarah Millican once weed on the passenger seat of her car when she was stuck in a traffic jam.
True – and the naughty RT columnist later lied and said a friend’s dog did it…
2. Hugh Bonneville is set to do a nude scene in the next series of Downton Abbey.
False – Sadly, this is in fact a lie. But fans of the Crawley patriarch shouldn’t sob into their Downton Abbey annuals just yet… You can catch a glimpse of Bonnevilles’ derriere in the opening episode of Da Vinci’s Demons. It’s probably on YouTube if you want to see it. We wouldn’t know though…
3. Benedict Cumberbatch’s first acting role was playing a girl in Half a Sixpence…
True – little Cumberbatch was so keen to get into acting he was willing to don a dress as Anne in a play at school.
4. One more Cumberfact? We know you love them… Benny C’s dad appeared in the Downton Abbey as the judge who sentenced Bates.
True. Benedict’s Cumberdad Timothy Carlton was Bates’ judge in the ITV period drama. He also appeared in an episode of Parade’s End alongside his son.
5. Star Trek superfan and current Who companion Jenna-Louise Coleman can speak fluent Klingon.
False. We’re lying! As far as we know, the only language Jenna-Louise is fluent in is English.
6. Among her many other skills, Silver Linings Playbook actress Jennifer Lawrence can skin squirrels.
True. J-law is not just a pretty face. Just like her Hunger Games alter-ego Katniss, the girl can hunt. (Sort of, she learnt how to do it for an earlier movie role.)
7. Strictly Come Dancing host Bruce Forsyth can play Chopsticks on the piano using just his toes.
False. The ballroom veteran certainly is sprightly for his age, but we fear making music with his feet is a feat too far…
8. Pitch Perfect’s Rebel Wilson decided to pursue an acting career after contracting malaria and hallucinating that she was an Oscar winning actress.
Strange but true. Well, when you get a sign, you get a sign, eh?
9. Miranda Hart once fell out of a train toilet with her knickers around her ankles.
True. It might sound like something her sitcom alter-ego would get up to, but this cringe-worthy mishap really did happen to Hart herself.
10. Matt Smith’s favourite word is ‘snuggle’.
True. From the horse’s mouth. Hands up who thinks, if they ever got the chance, that their favourite thing might be to snuggle with Matt Smith?
11. Former 007 Pierce Brosnan has more than acting and (an okay) singing voice up his sleeve. The star used to work as a fire-eater in a circus.
True. Everyone has to start somewhere…
12. Would I Lie To You?’s front man Rob Brydon’s middle name is Bryn, the name of his much-loved Gavin & Stacey character.
False. Though we wish it were the case. If you’re interested, Rob’s full name is actually Robert Brydon Jones.
13. A young and unknown BGT judge Amanda Holden was once rejected on Cilla Black’s Blind Date.
True. Bet that man is kicking himself now…
14. Star of Sherlock and The Hobbit Martin Freeman truly believed he had magical powers until the age of 18.
False. (Unless he did and he’s keeping schtum…)
15. From one man with magical powers to another… Colin Morgan always carries around a Lego figure of Merlin for good luck.
False. He’s a wizard, silly – he doesn’t need good luck.