Cindy had been living in witness protection in France, having reconciled with her first husband Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt)
As well as reunions with her daughters Gina (Francesca Henry) and Anna Knight (Molly Rainford), Cindy will also come face-to-face with Ian's youngest son Bobby Beale (Clay Milner Russell) - the person who killed her firstborn daughter, Lucy Beale (Hetti Bywater).
Bobby killed his half-sister in 2014 and audiences discovered he was responsible for her death in 2015, later being sent to prison in 2016.
Following his release from a detention facility in 2019, Bobby has struggled with his mental health and guilt, while finding his Islamic faith to be a profound comfort.
The situation has become even more complicated since Bobby began to develop romantic feelings for Anna, who unbeknownst to them both he shares a deceased half-sister with.
Speaking to RadioTimes.com and other press, actress Michelle Collins has spoken about working with actor Clay Milner Russell, alongside his on-screen brother Thomas Law who has reprised his role as Peter Beale, Lucy's twin brother.
“I can’t tell you too much, but I must say I’m so lucky with my family," revealed Collins. "I’ve got Peter, who’s played by Tom [Law], and Bobby, who is played by Clay [Milner-Russel] and they are just brilliant, I’m so lucky."
However, the spectre of Lucy looks set to cause issues between Cindy and her new stepson.
- 6 EastEnders spoilers next week: Cindy Beale's shocking return rocks Walford
- EastEnders icon teases return of Cindy Beale's "bad" side in love triangle
- EastEnders' Cindy Williams Jr to be "mentioned" amid Michelle Collins return
- Michelle Collins almost played another iconic EastEnders character
"It’s difficult, that relationship," she confirmed. "He did something and he paid for it, but it’s hard for Cindy to understand that. These are the things that we’re addressing and working through, but I have had some great scenes with Clay."
Fans will know that both Ian and Peter struggled to forgive Bobby for what he did but both eventually managed to somewhat move past it, but something tells us Cindy won't be so forgiving...
- EastEnders 2023 summer preview: 5 spoilers from Chris Clenshaw
- EastEnders' Shona McGarty quits role as Whitney Dean after 15 years
- EastEnders star Lorraine Stanley to be written out of Karen Taylor role
- EastEnders' Gillian Taylforth teases Kathy and Rocky future after Jo's threats
- EastEnders is nowhere near the axe – it's having a renaissance
- EastEnders' Gillian Taylforth supports comeback for Kathy’s Hills family
- The WAGs of EastEnders' legend Ian Beale, from Cindy to Jane
- EastEnders boss Chris Clenshaw promises “big” Christmas for the Beales
- EastEnders' Michelle Collins teases Cindy’s scenes with love rival Elaine
- Will Jacqueline Jossa return full-time to EastEnders as Lauren Branning?
- EastEnders' Michelle Collins confirms flashbacks and Cindy Beale breakdown
- EastEnders must give tragic heroine Whitney the happy ever after she deserves
- EastEnders legend Angela Wynter explains Yolande Trueman return
EastEnders airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7:30pm on BBC One and from 6am on BBC iPlayer. Visit our dedicated EastEnders page for all the latest news, interviews and spoilers. If you’re looking for more to watch, check out our TV Guide and Streaming Guide.
Try Radio Times magazine today and get 10 issues for only £10, PLUS a £10 John Lewis and Partners voucher delivered to your home – subscribe now. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to The Radio Times Podcast.