How to set up and update parental controls on Disney Plus
Here's how to set up parental controls on Disney Plus to protect children from unsuitable content.
Disney Plus is home to thousands of hours of content, and is the perfect place for children to watch their favourite series and films - from classics such as The Lion King and Aladdin to more recent child-friendly favourites like Luca and Elemental.
Disney Plus is a great destination for children's entertainment, but it's important to remember that not all content on the streaming service is suitable for kids. Some of the best Disney shows and the best Disney movies are not age appropriate, and films and series go up to the 18-plus range.
It's fair to say that many parents and guardians would feel faint at the thought of their child watching some of the gory scenes in The Menu and hearing the language in The Bear, so we're here to help you avoid this.
Disney Plus has plenty of ways you can protect children and keep them from watching unsuitable content, so this guide is made to help you put these in place. All of these protection methods are easy to set up and can be updated as your child grows and also be changed for kids of varying ages. Here's how to set up parental controls on Disney Plus.
More like this
What parental controls does Disney Plus have in the UK?
Disney Plus has four main ways to help make sure children's viewing is appropriate for their age. The parental control features Disney Plus provides are:
- Kids profiles: Disney Plus has preset profiles for children, ensuring only family-friendly content is available on these profile types
- Profile PINs: You can choose a PIN to lock user profiles and stop your child from accidentally opening yours or another family member's. You can also set a PIN that will prevent your child from leaving their profile at all.
- Profile creation limitations: This feature allows you to limit who can create new profiles on the Disney Plus app
- Content age rating restrictions: You can restrict content by selecting preset age ratings on Disney Plus, including 0+, 6+, 9+, 12+, 14+, 16+ and 18+
How to set up parental controls on Disney Plus
Each parental control is set up easily and can be changed or deleted just as effortlessly. Here's how to set up each parental control:
The Kids Profile setting helps to protect children by only including film and television shows that are suitable for viewers of all ages. One of the biggest benefits is that you don't have to manually adjust which content can be seen in a Kids Profile, as it has been designed to feature only content that is suitable for the youngest of viewers.
To set up a Kids Profile:
- Open your Disney Plus account on any device.
- Select the Add Profile option on the profile screen.
- Select a character icon for your profile.
- Enter a profile name.
- Toggle the Kids' profile setting to On.
- Select Save.
The profile PIN makes sure your child can’t use other Disney Plus accounts and watch content that isn’t age-appropriate. The PIN is made up of 4 numbers you must enter to view content on a certain profile. Here's how to set one up:
- Go to your profile screen and select the option to Edit Profiles. This option will usually be directly above or below the circular profile pictures or in the top right-hand corner.
- Select which profile you want to edit/add a PIN to.
- Select Profile PIN under the Parental Controls section.
- Enter your password and select Continue.
- Enter, change, or remove a PIN and select Save.
Profile creation limitation
You can control what your children watch on Disney Plus by restricting the different profiles that can be created on your account. This prevents children from accidentally creating profiles for which you haven’t set up parental controls.
Once the restrictions are enabled, a password will always be required when creating a new profile. Here's how to turn on the profile restriction:
- Navigate to your Disney Plus account settings.
- Under Settings, toggle Restrict Profile Creation to On.
- Enter your password and select Continue.
How to set age ratings on Disney Plus
The final Disney Plus parental control (setting age ratings) is probably the most popular. If you have a number of profiles in use on your Disney Plus account, you can customise each of them with a specific age rating. With this age rating in place, Disney’s library is set to automatically filter out any films or shows that aren’t suitable for that age bracket.
And if your family only has one account? Now’s a good time to set up at least one more that’s purely for kids or adults. Here's how to set up age ratings:
- Open Disney Plus.
- Tap the profile icon, and then select ‘Edit profiles’ from the dropdown menu.
- Choose the profile with the age rating you want to adjust.
- Under the 'Parental controls’ section, select ‘Content rating’ and enter your account password.
- Now you can apply an age rating to the profile: 0+, 6+, 9+, 12+, 14+, 16+ or 18+.
If you're interested in buying a Disney Plus subscription then check out our guide to the latest Disney Plus offers. You can also find out what to watch on Disney Plus and how much Disney Plus cost in our handy guides.