Sir Bruce Forsyth has today announced that he will be stepping down from presenting BBC1’s Strictly Come dancing after 10 years.
The 86-year-old performer has fronted the Saturday night show alongside co-host Tess Daly since the Strictly’s inception in 2004.
“After 10 wonderful years and 11 series, I believe it is now the right time to step down from the rigours of presenting the Strictly live shows. I am very proud of what the show has achieved and confident it will entertain the nation for many years to come,” said the presenter.
The star won’t be retiring all together though, and will remain on BBC1 to present Strictly specials, such as the Christmas and Children in Need episodes.
“I am also delighted that by presenting the Christmas and Children in Need shows I will continue to have a strong association with Strictly,” said Forsyth, adding: “I am looking forward to the specials planned with the BBC as well as some live theatre shows, so before anyone asks…. I am not retiring quite yet!”
BBC1’s entertainment commissioning controller Mark Linsey said: “One of the joys of my job is working with Sir Bruce Forsyth and long may that continue. He is the all-time master and commander when it comes to Great British entertainers and Strictly owes him such a great deal. This is not a farewell, but you can’t blame him for wanting to take things a little bit easier.”
“Sir Bruce Forsyth is one of the great showbiz legends of our time and Strictly’s success is due in vast amounts to him,” added BBC1 controller Charlotte Moore said.
Rumours have been circling for a while now that the performer might be about to step down from the series – he missed a number of the live shows during it’s 11th run last year.
There is no word yet on who will replace him when the show returns to BBC1 this autumn.
Sign up to the Radio Times newsletter for the latest TV and entertainment news