Excitment is building around the third series of hit US drama Homeland. The cast and crew are starting to share more about the much-anticipated CIA drama, we’ve had a frustratingly cryptic teaser trailer AND an air date in the US. We don’t know about you, but it’s all getting a bit much.
So we’ve dug around on the information super-highway to find you all the rumours and revealing statements out there. Here’s what we know about Homeland series three…
– Series three starts here in the UK in early October – just days after it premieres on Showtime in the US. The new series will be set 200 days after the end of series two.
– The titles of the first seven episodes are…. Tin Man is Down, Uh Oh Ah, Tower of David, Game On, Yoga Play, Still Positive and Gerontion.
– Brody won’t be in the first two episodes.
– In fact, British actor Damian Lewis isn’t set to appear that much in the next series. As the world’s most wanted criminal, he naturally has to stay low. According to Lewis when we do see Brody for the first time “it will be real, real interesting.”
– But while Brody won’t be anywhere to be seen. Rumour has it his family, Jessica, Chris and Dana will feature heavily… Joanna Merlin will also appear as Grandma Louis, Jessica’s mother.
– As Brody goes on the run from the CIA, it seems the CIA won’t actually be chasing him. At least to start with. The show’s executive producer Alex Gansa has said to TV Line: “The investigators are going to believe that Brody was actually in his car when it exploded. Plus, Brody does have a head start of a couple of days, and he is privy to Carrie’s best contacts. He has the benefit of that network.”
– We will find Carrie in a low place. Which isn’t really surprising considering most of her collegeues were blown up in the season two finale. An explosion which her boyfriend was framed for. The boyfriend which is now on the run…. According to Claire Danes, for Carrie “it’s pretty bleak at the beginning. She’s gone off her meds…” “Carrie is always sitting on her own personal ticking bomb,” continued the star at the Television Critics Association.
– Fans who are expecting another explosive (or potentially explosive) series finale might be disappointed. Gansa told Entertainment Weekly that the writers would “rather not do an impending attack that Carries stops for the third year in a row.”
– The CIA will be a different place from the last series. With David Estes dead, Saul is in charge. And the agency itself is “on trial.” “All of a sudden, [Saul] finds himself now having to make the decisions,” said Gansa. “And with the actual existence of the CIA in question, he has to make some very uncharacteristic choices that he’s not comfortable making.”
– The season two finale saw us bid goodbye to a few familiar faces, but series three will welcome some new ones. Shaun Toub, Martin Donovan, Tracy Letts, Joanna Merlin, Nazanin Boniadi, Amy Morton, Lawrence Clayton, Sam Underwood, Gary Wilmes and Pedro Pascal have all joined the cast. Saul’s on-screen wife Mira (played by Sarita Choudhury) has also been promoted to a series regular.
Homeland will return to Channel 4 in early October
You can buy homeland from RT DVD shop