Since it launched on Netflix on Friday 17th September, South Korean action series Squid Game has become a monumental word of mouth hit – and it is currently the most-watched title on the streamer both in the UK and globally.
The action-packed series follows a group of 456 people who are invited to take part in a mysterious survival competition which sees them each risk their life for the chance to win ₩45.6 billion.
And if you’re wondering where exactly the show’s rather intriguing name came from, creator Hwang Dong-hyuk has revealed his inspirations for the title, explaining that it dates back to his own childhood.
“Squid Game is a game I used to play as a child in the schoolyard or the streets of the neighbourhood,” he said. “This is a story about people who used to play this game as children and return to play it as adults.
“It was one of the most physical and it was also one of my favourite games. I felt that this game could be the most symbolic children’s game that could represent the kind of society we live in today.”
“I was reading a lot of comic books, and I finished the script in 2009,” he explained. “At the time, it seemed very unfamiliar and violent. There were people who thought it was a little too complex and not commercial. I wasn’t able to get enough investment and casting was difficult. I dabbled in it for about a year, but I had to put it to sleep then.”
Read more about Squid Game:
- Squid Game season 2 – will the Netflix show return?
- Squid Game cast – full list of actors and characters in hit Netflix series
- Squid Game true story – Real life inspiration behind Netflix series
- Squid Game money: How much is 45.6 billion Won prize money in dollars and pounds?
- 9 most intriguing Squid Game theories
- Who is 067 in Squid Game?
- Where was Squid Game filmed?
- Squid game costumes – where to buy the tracksuits, jumpsuits and masks
- How to make Squid Game cookies
- Squid Game director teases possible season 2 plot
- Is Squid Game dubbed into English? How to watch with voice actors and subtitles
- How many episodes are there in Squid Game?
- Who is Squid Game’s Old Man?
- Squid Game ending explained
A decade passed before Netflix picked up the project – but, if early reactions are anything to go by, it was well worth the wait to get the project to the screen.