Netflix has another massive hit on their hands with the Korean drama, Squid Game. And while we wait for the inevitable second season, our mind has turned to where the first season was shot.
One of the many things that have received high praise about Squid Game is how great it looks and that is, in part, down to where the series was filmed.
Here’s all your Squid Game scoop on filming locations for the record-beating Netflix series.
Where was Squid Game filmed?
Well, we know that Squid Game was filmed in South Korea, but whereabouts? The city of Daejeon played home to Squid Game and it was where the cast was tagging themselves while they were filming. A lot of the sets were specially built for the show but you will see recognisable places if you visit.
With a population of just over 1.5 million people, Daejeon is the fifth largest city in South Korea and located in the central region of the country just under an hour away from the capital Seoul by high speed train and longer if you are travelling by road. The city is one of the high-tech capitals of the region and has earned itself the nickname of the “Asia’s Silicon Valley” with some people, referencing the high density of research universities and tech companies concentrated in the area. In fact, the research and development headquarters of companies including Samsung and LG are located in and around the city.
Fun facts; Daejeon is twinned with Seattle in the United States and Brisbane in Australia.
And the city is no stranger to filming high-profile projects too as zombie movie, Train to Busan, was also shot there.
If you want to go, it will take you upwards of at least 14 hours to fly there so you may as well line up another Squid Game rewatch for the trip…
What is Squid Game about?
The show focuses on a group of people who are all short on money and decide to take part in a game show that is based on the games that children play. The price is a life-changing sum of money, but the cost for losing is death.
And here is a trailer for the show if you have not yet watched it and you want to see what all the fuss is about.
Read more about Squid Game:
- Squid Game season 2 – will the Netflix show return?
- Squid Game cast – full list of actors and characters in hit Netflix series
- Squid Game true story – Real life inspiration behind Netflix series
- Squid Game money: How much is 45.6 billion Won prize money in dollars and pounds?
- Squid Game creator reveals meaning behind title
- 9 most intriguing Squid Game theories
- Who is 067 in Squid Game?
- Squid game costumes – where to buy the tracksuits, jumpsuits and masks
- How to make Squid Game cookies
- Squid Game director teases possible season 2 plot
- Is Squid Game dubbed into English? How to watch with voice actors and subtitles
- How many episodes are there in Squid Game?
- Who is Squid Game’s Old Man?
- Squid Game ending explained
Squid Game is now available to watch on Netflix. Check out our lists of the best TV shows on Netflix and the best movies on Netflix or alternatively head to our TV Guide for something to watch tonight.