The official Barb (Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board) top 10 for 2011 has been published, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s marriage ceremony taking the top spot.
An average audience of 13.59m watched on BBC One and BBC HD, although consolidated figures across the 10 channels showing Royal Wedding coverage (including ITV1, the BBC news channel and Sky News) bring that figure to 26m.
Other big hitters include The X Factor Results on ITV1 with 13.46m and the Strictly Come Dancing Final with 13.34m.
Soap operas also take two places: the Coronation Street episode in which Peter disrupted his own wedding to Leanne comes in at number six, while the immediate aftermath of the Kat and Ronnie baby-swap plot is in 10th position.
1. The Royal Wedding – 13.59m (29 Apr, BBC One)
2. The X Factor Results – 13.46m (11 Dec, ITV1)
3. Strictly Come Dancing Final – 13.34m (17 Dec, BBC One)
4. The X Factor – 12.92m (2 Oct, ITV1)
5. Britain’s Got Talent Final Result – 12.63m (4 Jun, ITV1)
6. Coronation Street 12.56m (14 Feb ITV1)
7. I’m A Celebrity… – 12.47m (13 Nov, ITV1)
8. Britain’s Got Talent Final – 12.22 (4 Jun, ITV1)
9. Downton Abbey – 12.15m (11 Nov, ITV1)
10. EastEnders – 11.42m (3 Jan, BBC One)