Star Wars fans delving into the new Disney Plus series Ahsoka have been thrilled to notice the return of two fan favourite droids in the first two episodes.
Fans were delighted to see Huyang in the first episode, followed by Hera Syndulla's droid Chopper (voiced by Dave Filoni), from Star Wars: Rebels, in episode 2.
Many viewers were also pleasantly surprised to realise that Huyang is voiced by none other than David Tennant, who actually won a Daytime Emmy for his performance as Huyang in animated series The Clone Wars.
As is often the way with droids in Star Wars, Huyang provides some comic relief along the way, frequently giving his two cents on situations and providing gloriously biting remarks.
So, as Tennant returns to the world of Star Wars alongside a stacked cast including Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano, Natasha Liu Bordizzo as Sabine Wren, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Hera Syndulla and the late Ray Stevenson as Baylan Skoll, here's everything you need to know about Ahsoka's Huyang.
Who is Huyang in Ahsoka?
Huyang is a Mark IV architect droid professor who taught Jedi younglings how to construct lightsabers, something that could come in very handy in Ahsoka.
The droid guided students including iconic Star Wars figures like Yoda and Mace Windu for thousands of years on the Crucible. No one knows Huyang's exact origins but, very aptly, a rumour spread among the younglings that he arrived in a big blue box (Doctor Who fans, we see you).
Disaster struck when Huyang accompanied Ahsoka to Ilum with a group of younglings who were looking to become Padawans, with the droid being attacked when pirates boarded the ship.
While they knocked off his head and both arms, Ahsoka and the younglings who joined her on her journey were able to re-assemble him - a traumatic incident he might not have quite recovered from yet.
Is David Tennant voicing Huyang in Ahsoka?
Oh, yes! The actor first played Huyang for two episodes in The Clone Wars, but is expected to feature more heavily in Ahsoka.
Announcing the news at Star Wars Celebration, Ahsoka showrunner Dave Filoni was visibly thrilled to have the actor back on board, delightedly declaring: "Oh, that’s the Doctor, that’s David Tennant. He makes it all work, what a joy, what a privilege to have him."
Meanwhile, star Rosario Dawson, who plays the titular character, commented that the relationship between Tennant and Filoni was "remarkable".
- What time is Ahsoka out on Disney Plus?
- Ahsoka release schedule: When is episode 3 on Disney Plus?
- Meet the cast of Star Wars series Ahsoka on Disney+
- Who is Morgan Elsbeth in Ahsoka and what are the Nightsisters?
- When is Ahsoka set in the Star Wars timeline?
- Ahsoka dedicates first episode to late actor Ray Stevenson
- Ahsoka's Rosario Dawson features on Radio Times sci-fi special cover
- Who is Ezra Bridger? Star Wars: Rebels character returns in Ahsoka
- Ahsoka review: A slow but steady start for Rosario Dawson's Star Wars hero
- Ahsoka star Rosario Dawson on her Lord of the Rings inspiration
- Who is Sabine Wren? Star Wars: Ahsoka rebel explained
- Star Wars Rebels actor "wouldn't say no" to Ahsoka appearance
- Ahsoka sees Lars Mikkelsen return as iconic Star Wars villain
- How to watch the Star Wars movies in order: Every order from chronological timeline to release date
Ahsoka premieres on Disney Plus on Wednesday 23rd August 2023. New episodes weekly. Sign up to Disney Plus for £7.99 a month or £79.90 for a year.
Try Radio Times magazine today and get 10 issues for only £10, PLUS a £10 John Lewis and Partners voucher delivered to your home – subscribe now. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to The Radio Times Podcast.