Squid Game stars reveal true origin behind Red Light Green Light doll
Squid Game actress Jung Ho-yeon (who plays Sae-byeok) has confirmed the robot doll's origins.
The cast of Netflix's smash-hit Korean survival drama Squid Game have revealed an added layer of meaning behind the sinister 'Red Light, Green Light' doll.
In the series, the down-and-out contestants compete for a massive cash prize by taking part in playground games with a deadly twist. You can read our guide to the Squid Game rounds here.
In the first round of games, we see the contestants compete in the game Red Light Green Light, similar to ‘Statues’ or ‘Grandmother’s Footsteps’ in the UK.
- How to play Squid Game VR Red Light, Green Light
A giant robot doll is the "Curator", standing at one end of the field. The other players must get to the doll's side of the field within a set time limit, but they can only move when the doll's back is turned. If they're caught moving when the doll turns around, they're out of the game - and in the case of Squid Game, they're shot.
Speaking on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, cast member Jung Ho-yeon (who plays Sae-byeok in the Squid Game cast) confirmed that the robot doll was inspired by a character from school textbooks in Korea.
- Read more about Squid Game
- Squid Game season 2 - will the Netflix show return?
- Squid Game cast – full list of actors and characters in hit Netflix series
- Squid Game true story – Real life inspiration behind Netflix series
- Squid Game money: How much is 45.6 billion Won prize money in dollars and pounds?
- Squid Game Fortnite map codes - Try the games at home on your console
- Squid Game creator reveals meaning behind title
- 9 most intriguing Squid Game theories
- Who is 067 in Squid Game?
- Where was Squid Game filmed?
- Squid game costumes - where to buy the tracksuits, jumpsuits and masks
- How to make Squid Game cookies
- Squid Game director teases possible season 2 plot
- Is Squid Game dubbed into English? How to watch with voice actors and subtitles
- How many episodes are there in Squid Game?
- Who is Squid Game's Old Man?
- What do all the Squid Game symbols mean?
- How to play Squid Game’s paper flip challenge
- Squid Game ending explained
- SNL Squid Game sketch: Rami Malek performs in Saturday Night Live parody
- What to watch after Squid Game
- Who dies in Squid Game?
- Squid Game soundtrack: Every track from Netflix drama
“When we were at the school, there were characters–one is a boy, and one is the girl. The boy’s name was Chulsoo, and the girl’s name was Younghee and she’s the one," she said.
You can watch the full interview, also featuring Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo, and Wi Ha-joon, here.
Squid Game is available to stream on Netflix. Looking for something else to watch? Check out our guide to the best TV series on Netflix and best movies on Netflix, or visit our TV Guide