The Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta period is in full swing, allowing fans of Activision's premium first-person shooter series to try out the latest game ahead of its release.
Given the hype around CoD MW2, it's safe to say that playing it early will be something of a bragging right within CoD fan circles. Luckily, it's quite simple to take part in the betas and play the game before it releases.
There are just two beta periods left before the game's launch, one closed and one open, so you need to get in there quickly if you're looking to try the game out before its full-fat release.
With all of this in mind, it's best to keep on reading below, where you'll discover when the remaining Modern Warfare 2 beta begins as well as how to take part in the pre-release fun.
When is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta?
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta period began on 16th September 2022. Players were able to download the beta early from 14th September. It's just the two beta sessions left before launch now, though.
Each of the remaining beta periods start and end at 6pm BST. Look out below for the remaining CoD: Modern Warfare 2 beta sessions and their start and end date.
There will be four different sessions in the MW2 beta, and they are rolling out like so:
- 16th September to 17th September – early access beta on PlayStation
- 18th September to 20th September – open beta on PlayStation
- 22nd September to 23rd September – early access beta starts on Xbox and PC, while open beta continues on PlayStation
- 24th September to 26th September – open beta on PC, Xbox and PlayStation
The 'early access' sessions were only available to select players (more on that in a moment), while the 'open beta' sessions are freely available to everyone on those platforms.
- Call of Duty games order - best way to play them all
- Warzone 2 release date - the next free chapter
- CoD MW2 release date - when is it coming?
- Best gaming chairs - pick your CoD throne
- Six Days in Fallujah release date - plus controversy explained
- Best gaming headsets - improve your audio
How to get Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta codes
To have received a code for the early access beta periods, all you needed to have done was pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on your platform of choice. You should have been sent a code in time to start playing.
Activision also gave out some MW2 beta codes at certain Call of Duty events in the lead-up to the beta period, as did some others, including prominent CoD YouTube/Twitch stars. The only way to have guaranteed a code is to pre-order the game, though!
Those who pre-order the Vault Edition will also get to use their additional content in the beta - which includes the Red Team 141 Operator Pack and the FJX Cinder weapon.
Does progress carry over from the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta?
No, Activision has confirmed that progress will not carry over to the main game. However, 10 exclusive cosmetic rewards will be available to unlock that will be carried over to the full release - the full beta rewards list includes:
- Emblem: "Smashed It" - Operator Level 2
- Charm: "Buckle Up" - Operator Level 4
- Player Cards: "Passed the Test" - Operator Level 6
- Sticker: "Operation First Blood" - Operator Level 10
- Weapon Blueprint: "Side Impact" - Operator Level 15
- Operator Skin: "Collision" - Operator Level 18
- Vinyl: "No Competition" - Operator Level 19
- Sticker: "Safety First" - Operator Level 21
- Vehicle Skin: "Floor It" - Operator Level 26
- Weapon Blueprint: "Frontal Impact" - Operator Level 30
The latest issue of Radio Times magazine is on sale now – subscribe now and get the next 12 issues for only £1. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to the Radio Times podcast with Jane Garvey.