EastEnders airs special alternative opening titles for Lola's final episode
EastEnders have made a unique change to mark the final episode of Lola Pearce-Brown.
EastEnders has aired a special alternative opening title sequence for the final episode of Lola Pearce-Brown.
The iconic intro to the BBC One soap is usually set during the daytime with an aerial view of the East End of London.
However, in honour of the final episode of fan-favourite Lola (Danielle Harold), as she reaches the end of her journey with a terminal brain tumour, EastEnders has done something different.
The opening title sequence for Wednesday's episode (31st May 2023) was set a night-time with a darker hue to the aerial view and visible artificial lights on to depict a city at night.
This is not the first time such a title sequence was used as one was previously utilised for the Lucy Beale murder flashback episode for the 30th anniversary in 2015 and then for the soap's 35th anniversary week in 2020.
The majority of the episode itself takes place on a blustery night in Walford as the Square braces itself for the news of Lola's passing.
The decision to write Lola out of the BBC One soap was not an easy one for the writers, either, as executive producer Chris Clenshaw recently explained at a press event.
"When we first came up with the idea of telling the story, we debated at great length, and it certainly wasn't a decision that we took lightly," revealed Clenshaw. "The story was so powerful and we know from previous stories such as these that when EastEnders tackles or raises awareness of an issue, the impact can be huge and we all felt that this was one of those stories that needed to be told."
The executive producer continued: "With the support of Brain Tumour Research and Macmillan Cancer Support, whose help and support has been invaluable, we as well as all the families and most importantly those actually going through what Lola is, our understanding of the issue grew and we knew just how important it was that we tell this story. And let me tell you, right from the start Danielle has thrown her heart and soul, not only into the performance but also the detailed research."
- EastEnders cast: Who is joining, leaving and returning to the soap?
- EastEnders’ Danielle Harold: Lola’s death “the most difficult thing” she’s ever filmed
- EastEnders spoilers: Ben and Jay to clash after Lola’s tragic death
- Danielle Harold praises EastEnders boss for Lola’s emotional exit
- EastEnders spoilers: Jay Brown for "unlikely friendship" after Lola dies
- EastEnders’ Max Bowden posts moving personal message amid Lola story
- EastEnders boss wants to keep Linda Carter as "heart of the Square"
- EastEnders' Colin Salmon on personal reason he took George Knight role
- EastEnders' Kellie Bright fears "everlasting" Linda and Sharon feud
- EastEnders star Kellie Bright: "The show needed a Harriet Thorpe"
- EastEnders spoilers: Gina Knight to be "spiky" and clash with Elaine
- Sam Mitchell to return to EastEnders ‘before the autumn’ after surprise exit
- EastEnders' Danielle Harold pays tribute to Lola's story
EastEnders airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7:30pm on BBC One and from 6am on BBC iPlayer. Visit our dedicated EastEnders page for all the latest news, interviews and spoilers.