Who is Princess Helaena Targaryen in House of the Dragon and who plays her?
Meet a potential candidate to be a Queen in Westeros.
Some characters grow ever important as the episodes progress for House of the Dragon.
As the Game of Thrones prequel series continues in progress, House Targaryen only continues to grow and characters continue to age.
Ever important to the series are the children of King Viserys I Targaryen (Paddy Considine) and Queen Alicent Hightower (Olivia Cooke), including their daughter Princess Helaena Targaryen.
So, who portrays Helaena and what can we expect from her in the series?
Who is Princess Helaena Targaryen in House of the Dragon?
Princess Helaena Targaryen is the only daughter of King Viserys I Targaryen and his second wife Queen Alicent Hightower.
Helaena is the younger half-sister of Crown Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, the younger sister of Prince Aegon Targaryen, and the older sister of Prince Aemond Targaryen.
A curious, sweet but insightful young woman, Helaena has been shown in the show to have an interest in small animals.
In later episodes, Alicent decides to marry Helaena to Aegon to strengthen the latter's claim to the Iron Throne and keep the Targaryen bloodline pure in the tradition of Old Valyria.
As a result of Aegon and Helaena's marriage, the pair go on to have three children:
- Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen
- Princess Jaehaera Targaryen
- Prince Maelor Targaryen
If Aegon becomes the King on the Iron Throne, Helaena will be his Queen Consort.
As a dragonrider, Helaena's mount is the dragon Dreamfyre.
Who plays Princess Helaena Targaryen in House of the Dragon?
Princess Helaena is portrayed by two actresses in House of the Dragon, one as a teenager and one as an adult woman.
Princess Helaena Targaryen is portrayed in her adolescence by actress Evie Allen.
This is Allen's first television acting role.
Allen portrays Helaena in two episodes, the sixth episode 'The Princess and the Queen' and the seventh episode 'Driftmark'.
In these instalments, Helaena is shown to be highly insightful with a hint that she possesses some kind of foresight.
Princess Helaena Targaryen is portrayed as an adult by actress Phia Saban.
Saban first appears as Helaena in the eighth episode of the first season of House of the Dragon, titled 'Lord of the Tides'.
In this episode, Helaena is shown to be married to Aegon and to have given birth to his children.
Outside of House of the Dragon, Saban portrayed Aelfwynn in the BBC/Netflix historical drama series The Last Kingdom.
- How to watch House of the Dragon – where can you stream?
- Matt Smith says “daunting” Doctor Who prepared him for House of the Dragon
- House of the Dragon planned to last three or four seasons
- House of the Dragon review: Game of Thrones prequel soars
- Meet the cast of House of the Dragon, the Game of Thrones prequel series
- When is House of the Dragon set? Game of Thrones timeline explained
- What time is House of the Dragon released in the UK?
- What is the Dance of the Dragons? House of the Dragon war explained
- Where was House of the Dragon filmed?
- Who is the opening voiceover in House of the Dragon episode 1?
- What book is House of the Dragon based on? Fire and Blood book changes
- Your guide to the dragons of House of the Dragon
- What is Old Valyria, the Doom and High Valyrian in House of the Dragon?
- Game of Thrones books in order: A Song of Ice and Fire and more
House of the Dragon airs on Sky Atlantic and is available on NOW – find out more about how to sign up for Sky TV. Check out more of our Fantasy coverage or visit our TV Guide to see what's on tonight.
The latest issue of Radio Times magazine is on sale now – subscribe now and get the next 12 issues for only £1. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to the Radio Times podcast.