How long is The Last of Us Part 1? How many hours to beat first game
Here's how long you'll be going through the emotional wringer.
We are truly spoilt when it comes to The Last of Us content with the original two games, a brand new TV show that is actually good (excuse us while we breathe a collective sigh of relief) and soon a standalone multiplayer game.
If you've not played the games yet and the TV adaptation has inspired you to give them a go - or you want to experience the story for yourself first before watching Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey take on the roles of the game's main protagonists - it's worth knowing just how much time you're going to sink into playing Ellie and Joel's first adventure.
As you'd expect, 2022 remake The Last of Us Part 1 is a similar length to the 2013 original, and won't take up weeks of your time - but we can promise you'll enjoy every single moment of it.
Here's exactly how long it will take to complete The Last of Us Part 1.
How many hours is The Last of Us Part 1?
It should take about 14 hours to complete the main story of The Last of Us Part 1, the first game in this franchise.
This is the time given by the video game length compendium How Long To Beat assuming you're ignoring the side quests and purely working through the main campaign at a decent pace.
You'll have to add a few hours on if you choose to dabble in the side content however - probably around 16.5 hours - with trophy hunters and completionists looking more at 21 hours in order to 100 per cent the game and earn the elusive Platinum trophy.
These are just estimates, however, so there's no need for concern if you're taking a bit longer - we wouldn't blame you if you wanted to stop and take in the rather wonderful updated graphics every now and then.
Alternatively, if you're a die-hard fan you may find yourself whizzing through much faster, especially as a speedrun mode is now available upon beating the game for the first time.
The Last of Us Part 1 should easily be completable in a week or so depending on your schedule, a welcome break in the era of time-hungry live service games and expansive open-world RPGs. You'll then be all set for the TV show or follow-up The Last of Us Part 2 - which is quite a bit longer...
Read more on The Last of Us:
- The Last of Us TV show review - why it's worth watching
- The Last of Us TV show changes - creators talk deviations
- The Last of Us meets The Mandalorian - Pedro Pascal on similarities
- The Last of Us Part 1 review - our verdict on the remade game
- The Last of Us PC - when does Part 1 hit computers?
- The Last of Us film - why Sam Raimi movie died
- The Last of Us PS5 - versions and consoles explained
- The Last of Us Part 1 trophies - full list to collect
- The Last of Us Part 1 chapters - how many are there?
- The Last of Us Part 1 safe codes - unlock all doors
- The Last of Us Left Behind - the DLC explained
- The Last of Us 2 multiplayer - Factions follow-up explained
- Will there be a Last of Us Part 3? Latest on the sequel
Hungry for more gaming? Visit our video game release schedule, or swing by our hubs for more Gaming and Technology news.
Looking for something to watch? Check out our TV Guide or Streaming Guide.
Try Radio Times magazine today and get 12 issues for only £1 with delivery to your home — subscribe now. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to the Radio Times View From My Sofa podcast.