The farewell between David Tennant's Doctor and his companion Rose Tyler (played by Billie Piper) has been named the greatest sci-fi scene of all time.
The tear-jerking clip – which first aired in the episode Doomsday in July 2006 – came out top in a poll of 90,000 readers, compiled by SFX magazine to celebrate their 250th issue.
"I remember worrying on the day we shot this scene that, as I was actually a projection from inside the Tardis, my hair shouldn't be blowing in the wind," Tennant told SFX. "That seemed terribly important at the time and although we didn't find a solution to it, it bothered me for weeks. Then I saw the finished scene and of course all that matters is the end of the Doctor and Rose's story."
"Russell had weaved some glorious magic for two seasons and it all came together so perfectly in this scene that people still talk to me about it with misty eyes all these years later (and I suspect they always will.) Murray Gold created some heart stopping music that accentuates the misery and Billie [Piper] is just breathtakingly good.
"I feel very lucky to be standing on that beach, with my hair flying around, in amongst all these brilliant elements. Whatever else I do and wherever else I end up, this will be a moment I will be forever proud to look back on. Thanks for having us at number one."
The scene sees off the likes of Avengers Assemble whose depiction of the Hulk destroying Loki comes in second place, followed by the chestburster scene from 1979's Alien in third. Tennant and Piper also beat off competition from Darth Vader's big reveal in Star Wars and Dumbledore's final moments in Harry Potter. See the full top ten below...
1. Doctor Who: The Doctor and Rose say farewell at Bad Wolf Bay in "Doomsday"
2. Avengers Assemble: "Puny god!" The Hulk owns Loki
3. Alien: The chestburster
4. Firefly: Mal Reynolds kicks a bad guy into Serenity's engine intake ("The Train Job")
5. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Bad: Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father
6. Blade Runner: Roy Batty's "Tears in rain" speech
7. Game of Thrones: The Red Wedding: "The Lannisters send their regards"
8. The Matrix: Neo dodges bullets in the bullet-time scene
9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Dumbledore's death
10. Back to the Future: "Where we're going, we don't need roads"