Matt Smith's Prince Philip will be 'centre stage' as his marriage to the Queen is put under strain in The Crown season two
The Netflix drama's stars and creators open up about what we can expect in series two of The Crown
Season two of The Crown will put Prince Philip "centre stage" and focus on the "stresses and tensions" in his marriage to The Queen, it's been revealed.
Stars Claire Foy and Matt Smith along with creator Peter Morgan and the show's executive producers have offered a first look at what we can expect in the new series of the hit Netflix drama.
- Olivia Colman explains how she got the part of Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown
- Who could replace Matt Smith as Prince Philip in The Crown season 3?
- Discover the real history behind Netflix's The Crown
- When is The Crown season two released on Netflix?
"No-one's prepared for what's about to happen," says Foy about what happens to the monarchy in the 1960s, while we are promised that the Queen will be "tested" and faced with "big dilemmas" in the upcoming season.
A greater focus will also be placed on Matt Smith's Prince Philip, with series creator Peter Morgan hinting that season two "really examines" his journey.
Executive Producer Philip Martin, meanwhile, adds: "We find out things about him that I don't think many people know, but also the character of Phillip is centre stage in a way that is new."
In the teaser video, Matt Smith explains that "as with any relationship, any good drama exposes the frailties and the difficulties. We linger on the things that hinder them."
- “How on earth can you forgive yourself?” New trailer for The Crown hints at betrayal inside Buckingham Palace
- Olivia Colman would LOVE David Tennant to play Prince Philip in The Crown series three
Meanwhile executive producer Stephen Daldry has described the series as a "a spectacular step forward" and says he believes people will be "really surprised" by it.
Foy will bow out at the end of this season with Olivia Colman taking on the role of The Queen in seasons three and four of The Crown.
Further re-casting details have yet to be announced.
The Crown comes to Netflix on Friday 8th December