Discovery+ UK guide: Price, app and all your questions answered
Here's everything you need to know about Discovery's own streaming service, the home of real-life entertainment and sport.
There's a streaming service for everything these days - and an offering from documentary aficionados Discovery is one of the most unique entries on the market.
Discovery Plus is a streaming service dedicated to non-fiction, real life and sports content, offering access to original shows as well as live-streaming and catch-up of channels such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Quest, Really and Animal Planet.
This includes long-running hits such as 90-Day Fiancé and Gold Rush - but also Discovery Plus originals such as special episodes of Faking It, exclusive documentaries such as Vardy vs Rooney: The Wagatha Trial and Food Network's and The Diana Investigations and scripted TV movies from the Food Network.
Having been running in the UK for over two years now, there's a whole host of available programming focused on true crime, food, motoring, relationships and much, much more - as well as extensive sports coverage through the inclusion of Eurosport.
Here's everything you need to know about Discovery Plus - including the price, programmes and more.
Get Discovery Plus for free for 6 months with Vodafone
Vodafone is offering all UK customers with a pay monthly plan a 6-month free trial to Discovery Plus.
With a Discovery Plus subscription, you can stream Discovery Plus Originals and binge-able box sets from your favourite channels including Food Network, Quest, Really, TLC, Animal Planet and more.
What is Discovery Plus?
Discovery Plus is a streaming service from Discovery Inc, focusing on factual, lifestyle and sports programming drawn from Discovery's main channel brands as well as exclusive original shows.
This includes content from the following channels:
- Discovery Channel
- Animal Planet
- Quest Red
- Food Network
- Discovery Science
- Discovery Turbo
- Discovery History
- Magnolia Network
- Eurosport 1 & 2
As well as on-demand content drawn from the back-catalogue of each brand, subscribers can also access live streams and 30-day catch-up for select channels, similar to fellow streamer NOW TV.
As with most streaming services, you don’t have to buy each show or film you watch; instead, you pay a monthly subscription for access to all titles on the service’s library, completely ad-free other than the channel live streams. However, Discovery Plus also has a free model - simply registering allows access to live TV channels and their catch-up titles.
More like this
How much does Discovery Plus cost in the UK?
Unlike most streaming services, Discovery Plus has a free tier - users can register for an account and gain access to live TV and 30-day catch-up from Quest, Really, Quest Red, HGTV, Food Network and DMAX absolutely free.
However, purchasing the Entertainment Pass offers access to live streams and catch-up from pay-TV channels such as Discovery Channel and TLC also, as well as complete on-demand box sets outside of the 30-day catch-up period and also exclusive access to Discovery Plus originals.
The Entertainment Pass costs £3.99 a month or £39.99 a year in the UK, with a 7-day free trial, and can be added to your Amazon Prime Video account.
The Discovery Plus Entertainment and Sports Pass includes all of the above as well as access to live sports on Eurosport 1 and 2. The Entertainment and Sports Pass costs £6.99 per month or £59.99 a year and is ad-free on demand, it can also be added to your Amazon Prime Video account.
If you're a Vodafone customer there is an even better deal for you. Vodafone pay-monthly customers can enjoy Discovery Plus for free for six months.
Is there a Discovery Plus free trial in the UK?
Yes. There is a 7-day free trial available on Discovery Plus. You just have to sign up for a membership and your free trial will automatically start. This free trial is available when you subscribe to Discovery Plus directly or add Discovery Plus to your Amazon Prime Video account. Remember to cancel your membership before the 7 days is up or you will have to pay.
How to watch Discovery Plus in the UK
There are several ways to watch Discovery Plus in the UK. You can watch it by subscribing to Discovery Plus as a stand-alone streaming service via their website. When you've done this, you can then download Discovery Plus as an app on your selected device.
Discovery Plus is available for free as an app on Sky Q boxes and for Sky Glass and Sky Stream customers. You don't have to pay anything for the service, just say "Get Discovery Plus” into the voice-enabled Sky Q remote and follow the on-screen instructions. Or head to Sky's Discovery Plus webpage for extra help.
You can also add Discovery Plus to your Amazon Prime Video account. This gives you access to all Discovery Plus has to offer through the Prime Video interface. You have to be an Amazon Prime member to do this.
How many devices can I watch Discovery Plus on?
Discovery Plus customers can stream anywhere, anytime in the UK on mobile, web or cast directly onto the big screen. Devices include Apple and Android mobiles and tablets, as well as Android TV, Apple TV, Samsung TV, Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast.
How many people can watch Discovery Plus at the same time?
Four people can watch Disney Plus at the same time on four different devices.
What TV shows are on Discovery Plus in the UK?
Discovery Plus hosts one of the biggest libraries of non-fiction TV programming around, including every episode of popular shows such as Gold Rush, 90 Day Fiancé and Ghost Adventures. Highlights include:
- 90 Day Fiancé. The global sensation follows long-distance couples on unique engagement visas who have 90 days to decide whether to get married, with many spin-offs available as part of the Discovery plus original line-up.
- Sister Wives. The story of polygamist Kody Brown and his three ‘sister-wives’ who set out to break stereotypes around their lifestyle.
- Top Gear's Richard Hammond sets out to fulfil one of his lifelong dreams in Richard Hammond's Workshop.
- Three prospectors hope to strike it lucky in the Outback in Aussie Gold Hunters.
- The gold-mining efforts switch hemispheres in the complete box set of long-running Discovery show Gold Rush.
- You can catch all seasons of the extreme fishing show Deadliest Catch.
- Enjoy some blood-curdling binging with every episode of paranormal reality series Ghost Adventures. Spin-off Ghost Adventures: The Cecil Hotel is also available as a Discovery Plus exclusive.
- Body language experts and linguistic specialists analyse TV interviews in Discovery Plus original Shamima Begum: A Faking It Special.
- Following their explosive Oprah interview, Meghan & Harry Recollections May Vary studies the royal couple's speech, tone of voice, movements, and expressions.
- In a special episode of Shock Docs, The Devil Made Me Do It will look at the infamous murder case that attracted famed demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren.
- Sports coverage includes live footage from every stage of La Vuelta through Eurosport, as well as the Australia Open tennis, Grand Tour cycling, snooker and motorsports.
- A team looks for evidence of Bigfoot in an abandoned village seventy years after a reported attack in Alaskan Killer Bigfoot.
- Johnny Vs Amber chronicles the widely-reported divorce and legal battles of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.
- Journalist Vicky Ward looks at how Ghislaine Maxwell ended up behind bars in Chasing Ghislaine.
- Ken & Barbie Killers: The Lost Murder Tapes examines how a Canadian couple became two of the country's most notorious murderers.
- Celebrity chef and blogger Ree Drummond prepares for Christmas in her Oklahoma hometown in Discovery Plus spin-off The Pioneer Woman: Hometown Stories.
- Long-running motoring show Fifth Gear returns with a new focus on electric cars in Fifth Gear: Recharged.
- Jack Osbourne watches paranormal videos with his famous - and skeptical - parents in The Osbournes Want To Believe.
- Kevin Hart's Muscle Crew sees the comedian explore America's car culture while aiming to launch his own automotive club.
- The Food Network has debuted their first-ever scripted TV movie Candy Coated Christmas starring The Pioneer Woman star Ree Drummond.
Want more streaming advice? Check out our Disney Plus guide and our roundup of which streaming stick should you buy. For more tech, have a look at our refurbished phones explainer and best budget printers for 2023 list.