Emmerdale cast: who is leaving, returning to and joining the cast?
All the comings and goings in the lively village.
It's a dramatic time in Emmerdale at the moment, but then again, when isn't it?
As the soap continues in 2023 we can expect numerous stories to affect our villagers in its 51st year on ITV.
As the soap hurtles towards Emmerdale's Christmas 2023, it's sure to be a dramatic time in the Dales.
However, what changes await the Emmerdale cast this year?
Read on for your essential guide from RadioTimes.com to the latest Emmerdale cast news that you absolutely need to know.
Emmerdale cast: Who is leaving, returning to and joining the cast?
Emmerdale cast 2023
The full present regular cast for Emmerdale can be found below.
- Chris Chittell as Eric Pollard
- Claire King as Kim Tate
- Isabel Hodgins as Victoria Sugden
- Steve Halliwell as Zak Dingle
- James Hooton as Sam Dingle
- Lisa Riley as Mandy Dingle
- Mark Charnock as Marlon Dingle
- Dominic Brunt as Paddy Kirk
- Samantha Giles as Bernice Blackstock
- Eden Taylor-Draper as Belle Dingle
- Emma Atkins as Charity Dingle
- Jeff Hordley as Cain Dingle
- Tony Audenshaw as Bob Hope
- Patrick Mower as Rodney Blackstock
- Nicola Wheeler as Nicola King
- Zoe Henry as Rhona Goskirk
- Rosie Bentham as Gabby Thomas
- Charlotte Bellamy as Laurel Thomas
- Lucy Pargeter as Chastity "Chas" Dingle
- Danny Miller as Aaron Dingle
- Nick Miles as Jimmy King
- Jack Downham as Noah Dingle
- James Chase as Thomas "Tom" King
- Katie Hill as Sarah Sugden
- Sam Hall as Samson Dingle
- Matthew Wolfenden as David Metcalfe
- Gabrielle Dowling as Cathy Hope
- Sebastian Dowling as Heath Hope
- Alfie Clarke as Arthur Thomas
- Lesley Dunlop as Brenda Walker
- Roxy Shahidi as Leyla Cavanagh
- Natalie J. Robb as Moira Dingle
- Ash Palmisciano as Matty Barton
- Rebecca Bakes as Angelica King
- Chris Bisson as Jai Sharma
- Joe-Warren Plant as Jacob Gallagher
- Natalie Ann Jamieson as Amy Wyatt
- Daisy Campbell as Amelia Spencer
- Luca Hoyle as Elliot Windsor
- Harvey Rogerson as Leo Goskirk
- Huey Quinn as Kyle Winchester
- Kai Assi as Archie Breckle
- Laura Norton as Kerry Wyatt
- Michelle Hardwick as Vanessa Woodfield
- Jonny McPherson as Dr Liam Cavanagh
- Amelia Flanagan as April Windsor
- Amy Walsh as Tracy Metcalfe
- Charlie Munro Joyce as Carl Holliday
- Arthur Cockroft as Moses Dingle
- Jack Jennings as Johnny Woodfield
- Tilly-Rue Foster as Dotty Thomas
- Karen Blick as Lydia Dingle
- Bobby Dunsmoir as Isaac Dingle
- Olivia Bromley as Dawn Fletcher
- James Moore as Ryan Stocks
- Rebecca Sarker as Dr Manpreet Sharma
- Jay Kontzle as Billy Fletcher
- Bradley Johnson as Vinnie Dingle
- Joshua Richards as Bear Wolf
- Rachael Gill-Davis as Gail Loman
- Dean Andrews as Will Taylor
- Jurell Carter as Nate Robinson
- Noah Ryan Aspinall as Lucas Taylor
- Susan Cookson as Wendy Posner
- Bella James as Eve Dingle
- Beau Newton as Theo Metcalfe
- Lawrence Robb as Mackenzie Boyd
- Kevin Mathurin as Charles Anderson
- Emile John as Ethan Anderson
- Jessie Elland as Chloe Harris
- Louise Jameson as Mary Goskirk
- Martelle Edinborough as Suzy Merton
- Lewis Cope as Nicky Milligan
- William Ash as Caleb Milligan
- Flo Wilson as Claudette Anderson
- Brahmdeo Shannon Ramana as Suni Sharma
- Martha Cope as Sophie
- Robert Beck as Harry
- Anil Goutam as Amit Sharma
Here are the following changes ahead to the regular cast.
David Metcalfe (Matthew Wolfenden)
When is David Metcalfe leaving? Thursday 30th November 2023.
Actor Matthew Wolfenden is set to quit ITV soap Emmerdale after 17 years in the role of David Metcalfe.
According to The Sun, Wolfenden has reportedly been unhappy with a lack of "gritty storylines" for the character in recent months.
The character's most recent storylines have seen him support his former partner Leyla Cavanagh with her drug addiction following his own tumultuous split from girlfriend Victoria Sugden.
However, Wolfenden confirmed on This Morning in September that drama related to Victoria would prove central to his exit.
"There is a resolution of sorts, I can't give too much away," he revealed. "Victoria is the reason why he leaves the village. Put it that way."
Wolfenden also revealed that the character will not be killed off and the door is left open for David to return. The actor finished filming on the soap in October, meaning his exit will play out later this year on-screen.
Kerry Wyatt (Laura Norton)
When is Kerry Wyatt returning? 2024.
Actress Laura Norton is now on maternity leave after announcing she is pregnant with her second child with her partner and former co-star Mark Jordon.
Kerry departed the village heartbroken after discovering her dead boyfriend Al Chapman had been cheating on her with a mystery lover - later publicly revealed to be Chas Dingle.
In the aftermath, Kerry took a job on a cruise ship and left behind daughter Chloe Harris, who only just learned Kerry was her mother.
What will convince Kerry to return to the village?
Norton made a guest appearance during her time away as Kerry appeared via video calls.
Vanessa Woodfield (Michelle Hardwick)
When is Vanessa Woodfield departing? 2024.
Actress Michelle Hardwick is currently on maternity leave from the soap after departing on 30th November 2022.
Vanessa departed the village for a new year-long dream job in Canada after a falling out with friend Rhona Goskirk and breaking up with girlfriend Suzy Merton over a lack of trust.
However, before departing the village with her son Johnny, Ness made up with Rhona and even shared a kiss with Suzy.
When will the village see Vanessa again?
Of course, Vanessa may be able to pick up where she left off with Suzy upon her return but will her old love Charity also be looking for reconciliation after Mackenzie broke her heart?
Actress Michelle Hardwick confirmed to Metro at the British Soap Awards 2023 that viewers would see Vannessa before the end of the year.
"I'm definitely going back!" she revealed. "I've not got a date as such, it'll be later in the year at some point, but definitely I'll be back!"
Ella Forster (Paula Lane)
When is Ella Forster arriving? January 2024.
Coronation Street actress Paula Lane is joining the cast of Emmerdale as the new character Ella Forster.
First seen defending Mandy Dingle at a Veterinary Ball and losing her job as a result, Ella heads to Emmerdale and gets a job at the doctors' surgery as a receptionist.
Speaking of her new role, Paula said: "I'm so excited to be joining the cast of Emmerdale. Everyone has been so welcoming and I can't wait to start a new chapter playing the role of Ella. I've already heard there are big plans for her and I can't wait to see her navigate a new life in the village and hopefully make some friends!"
Producer Kate Brooks added: "Ella is a complex and multi-layered character who comes to the village and certainly makes an impact. Ostensibly she's a good, moral character, but is there more to her than meets the eye?
"We are absolutely thrilled to welcome an actor of Paula's calibre to the show and we can't wait to have her light up our screens."
Ruby Milligan (TBC)
When is Ruby Milligan arriving? 2024.
It's been a long time coming but the mysterious estranged wife of Caleb Milligan (Will Ash) and the mother of his son Nicky (Lewis Cope) will soon be turning up in the village.
Producer Laura Shaw revealed to the press in November 2023: "We’ve heard mention of Nicky’s mum and Caleb’s wife and we’ve just heard little bits from Caleb where’s he’s kind of said it’s all over between them and there’s nothing going on - but is that really true?
More like this
"In the new year, we will see Ruby bursting onto our screens. She’s going to be an absolute firecracker. She’s going to put a real spanner into the Dingles. Is her and Caleb’s relationship really as over as he’s made out? We’ll find out in the new year, I guess!"
Who has left Emmerdale in 2023?
The following characters have departed Emmerdale this year.
- Priya Sharma
- Amba Metcalfe
- Marcus Dean
- Naomi Walters
- Marshall Hamston
- Rishi Sharma
- Georgia Sharma
- Colin Hamston
- Dan Spencer
- Victor Anderson
- Craig Reed
- Bernice Blackstock
Who else will leave the village in 2023?
Who left Emmerdale in 2022?
The following characters have departed Emmerdale in 2022.
- Ellis Chapman
- DS Rogers
- Carol Butler
- Meena Jutla
- Jason Denshaw
- Alex Moore
- Sandra Flaherty
- Faith Dingle
- PC Harriet Finch
- Liv Dingle
- Diane Sugden
- Tracy Metcalfe (temporary)
- Aaron Dingle
- Al Chapman
- Kerry Wyatt (temporary)
- Vanessa Woodfield (temporary)
Who else will be in the village by the end of the year?