Tobias Menzies will replace Matt Smith as Prince Philip in The Crown season 3
The Outlander and Game of Thrones star will play the husband of Olivia Colman's Queen Elizabeth II
Outlander actor Tobias Menzies will take on the role of Prince Philip in The Crown seasons three and four.
A Netflix spokesperson confirmed to RadioTimes.com that the actor, who bowed out of Scottish time-travel drama Outlander last year, will take over the role vacated by Matt Smith at the end of season two.
- Claire Foy says she’s “not surprised” people were upset by the pay gap on The Crown
- Did Helena Bonham Carter use her Bafta outfit to cheekily hint at her role in The Crown
- The Crown star Matt Smith confirmed to play cult killer Charles Manson
Menzies will team up with his Night Manager co-star Olivia Colman, who was cast as Queen Elizabeth II last year. She takes over the role from Claire Foy.
- New on Netflix: the best movies and TV shows released every day
- Top Netflix TV series
- Top 50 Netflix movies
Need something new to watch on Netflix? Click here
The actor, who will next be seen starring alongside The Crown's Jared Harris in The Terror, is no stranger to British TV screens.
Menzies played Brutus in BBC historical epic Rome, Edmure Tully in Game of Thrones, and also popped up in Black Mirror and Catastrophe. He'll also be back on our screens in the not too distant future, taking on the role of the Duke of Cornwall in King Lear alongside Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.
The Crown seasons one and two are available to stream on Netflix
- For the latest news and expert tips on getting the best deals this year, take a look at our Black Friday 2021 and Cyber Monday 2021 guides.
This article was originally published in March 2018