George Clooney has been declared the world’s highest paid actor of the last year – but not for doing all that much acting…
Rather than amassing a huge paycheck for films such as Suburbicon, Clooney topped Forbes‘ annual list of earners thanks to the sale of the tequila company he co-founded.
Called Casamigos, the business was sold last year in a $1bn deal that, combined with his other income, saw Clooney make $239m (£185m) between June 2017 and June 2018.
- Scarlett Johansson named highest paid actress in the world
- Avengers: Infinity War – what happens next?
- RadioTimes.com newsletter: get the latest TV and entertainment news direct to your inbox
According to Forbes, Clooney’s pre-tax earnings were the most any actor in history has made in a year.
The sum almost put him $100m ahead of the next-highest-paid actor, Dwayne Johnson, with the Jumanji star raking in a total of $119m (£92m).
Mark Wahlberg, who topped 2017’s list with $68m (£52.5m), was missing from this year’s rankings
Forbes list of the world’s best-paid male actors 2018
- George Clooney – $239m (£185m)
- Dwayne Johnson – $119m (£92m)
- Robert Downey Jr – $79m (£61.2m)
- Chris Hemsworth – $64.5m (£49.9m)
- Jackie Chan -$45.5m (£32.9m)
- Will Smith – $42m (£32.5m)
- Akshay Kumar -$40.5m (£31.4m)
- Adam Sandler – $39.5m (£30.6m)
- Chris Evans – $34m (£26.3m)
- Salman Khan – $33.5m (£25.9m)
The male pay packets are well above the earnings of the highest-paid female stars, released by Forbes last week. Although Scarlett Johansson was revealed as the highest paid actress, earning $40.5m (£31.9m), she would only appear seventh in the male list.