Strictly Come Dancing introduces brand new 'Couple's Choice' category
Couples will have their pick from three dances to show off their celebrity’s skill set: Contemporary, Street/Commercial and Theatre/Jazz
In a move away from traditional ballroom, Strictly Come Dancing is introducing a brand new dance category for its 2018 series: the “Couple’s Choice”.
The Couple's Choice marks the first new dance to be added to the show for nine years since the Charleston joined the mix, and will allow the pairs approaching it to choose from one of three new styles that they reckon will best show off their celebrity’s moves.
- Strictly Come Dancing 2018 contestants: who has joined the celebrity line-up?
- Everything you need to know about Strictly Come Dancing 2018
- Stay up to date with the RadioTimes.com newsletter
With more couples and a longer run, producers felt that the show needed some fresh styles on the dance floor.
The three new dance styles are:
- Contemporary – takes inspiration from ballet, lyrical and modern dance
- Street/Commercial – covers all styles of urban dance as well as allowing couples to go in a more pop, commercial direction
- Theatre/Jazz – very much the style of musical theatre, includes elements of tap, soft shoe, burlesque and jazz
Only nine dances have been part of Strictly since the very first series in 2004 – The Waltz, Cha Cha Cha, Quickstep, Rumba, Tango, Jive, Foxtrot, Paso Doble and Samba.
More like this
Dances such as the Salsa, Charleston and Argentine Tango were added in later years.
Strictly will reveal its new couples on Saturday 8th September at 7.35pm on BBC1.