Ed Sheeran released no new music last year – but it didn’t stop him becoming the most-played artist on British radio.
The singer/songwriter pulled it off without landing a single in the top 10 most played tracks of the year – which suggests his catalogue of hits is broadly in heavy rotation.
- Game of Thrones reveals the grisly fate of Ed Sheeran’s character
- The best TV shows airing in 2019
- Netflix release dates 2019
It’s the third time in four years – he missed out in 2016 – that he has held the number one spot. This time around, Calvin Harris and Little Mix came in second and third place respectively.
Music royalty body PPL – who monitor plays on Radio and TV, as well as pubs, clubs and shops – compiled the data.
The most-played song of the year was Portugal. The Man’s Feel It Still (originally released in 2017) followed by Rudimental and Jess Glynne’s These Days and Liam Payne and Rita Ora’s For You.
Check out the top ten most-played artists and songs below.
Top 10 most-played artists
- Ed Sheeran
- Calvin Harris
- Little Mix
- Rita Ora
- Clean Bandit
- Dua Lipa
- George Ezra
- Jess Glynne
Top 10 most-played songs
- Portugal The Man – Feel It Still
- Rudimental & Jess Glynne – These Days
- Liam Payne & Rita Ora – For You
- Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa – One Kiss
- George Ezra – Shotgun
- Paloma Faith & Sigala – Lullaby
- Rita Ora – Anywhere
- David Guetta & Sia – Flames
- George Ezra – Paradise
- Pink – What About Us?