It’s a busy time for deal hunters. Amazon Prime Day was barely a month ago, and now retailers are gearing up for Black Friday and Cyber Monday with early sales springing up across the virtual storefronts.
However, there’s one more sales day this November has been imported from China rather than our American cousins – Singles’ Day.
While the anti-Valentine’s Day celebration has only slowly been gaining traction here in the UK, Singles’ Day has become the biggest shopping day in the world – Chinese tech giant Alibaba made $38.4 billion from Singles’ Day alone in 2019.
Clearly, the deals are good in that case, not that it should take much persuasion to treat yourself. We’ve run down some of the best available this year:
Singles’ Day deals: quick links
- 22% off when you spend £22 at Holland & Barrett with the code SINGLESDAY
- 20% off everything at ASOS with the code GETWITHASOS
- 25% off everything at Nike with the code MEMBER25
- 30% off everything at Boohoo with the code SINGLE
- 25% off everything at Prettylittlething with the code JUST4ME
- Up to 30% off at Lookfantastic with the code LFBEAUTY
- 25% off everything at Missguided
- 20% off fashion at John Lewis
- Courses as low as £11.99 at Udemy
What is Singles’ Day?
Singles Day, also known as Double 11 or Bachelor’s Day, is a shopping season that, as the name suggests, celebrates single people. The date of November 11th was chosen as the four “1’s” represented four singles, or “bare sticks” in Chinese slang as they can’t add branches to their family tree.
The unofficial holiday began in Nanjing University in the 1990s before spreading to the rest of the country, and has slowly been gaining popularity in the rest of the world too. The day is often celebrated by groups of singles gathering for events and activities – as well as treating themselves to personal gifts of course.
Best Singles Day deals
Here is a selection of the products receiving discounts – just remember it is for 11th November only and some retailers will require you to enter the code to get the discount:
- Organic High Strength Turmeric with Black Pepper |
£21.99£9.99 at Holland & Barrett
- John Lewis & Partners Winter Parka | £95.20 at John Lewis
- ASOS DESIGN cotton slubby frill sleeve smock dress in black |
£18£14.40 at ASOS with the code GETWITHASOS
- Nike Air Zoom SuperRep |
£104.95£83.96 at Nike with the code MEMBER25
- Oversized Slogan Utility Pocket Jogger |
£20£14 at Boohoo
- Grey popcorn knit long cardigan |
£35£26.25 at Missguided
More Black Friday deals
Many retailers aren’t offering Singles’ Day discounts because they’re running early Black Friday sales instead – we’ve compiled the best deal for each retailer into a handy little guide:
- Amazon Black Friday
- AO Black Friday
- Apple Black Friday
- Argos Black Friday
- Currys PC World Black Friday
- Dell Black Friday
- EE Black Friday
- GAME Black Friday
- John Lewis Black Friday
- LEGO Black Friday
- Nintendo Switch Black Friday
- Samsung Black Friday
- Sky Black Friday
- Smyths Black Friday
- Very Black Friday
Want more offers? Keep checking our Black Friday 2020 guide as we work hard to source and research the best and cheapest deals for you. We’ll also have all the latest news from our experts in the lead up to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. For more tech deals check out the technology section.
Wondering what to watch? Visit our TV Guide.