Apple revealed a whole host of new products this week, including the new Apple Watch 7. However, only one year on from the release of the Apple 6 – and with Black Friday 2021 fast approaching – is it the right time to buy a new Apple watch, or will savvy buyers wait until Black Friday?
Apple’s announcement of the Apple Watch 7 was slightly vague in one respect, initially only stating that the new wearable would be available “later this fall”. Our Apple Watch 7 pre-order page breaks down where you can buy the new smartwatch, which is releasing on Friday, 15th October.
Its imminent release increases the likelihood of some great Apple Watch 6 deals across Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2021.
When we compared Apple’s newest watch with the Series 6, following the company’s recent reveal event, we noted that there were not as quite many differences between the two models as had been expected. For the full comparison, read our Apple Watch 7 vs Apple Watch 6 breakdown.
We’ll have to wait until we get our hands on the Apple Watch Series 7 to say for sure, but at first glance, it seems that the newest wearable from Apple is a slight upgrade rather than a full-scale overhaul. That being the case, many potential buyers may still be happy with the slightly older Series 6, especially if there are bargains to be had on the Apple Watch 6 across Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
When choosing between different models of Apple watch, it’s worth weighing up how much you’re willing to spend and exactly what features you need. With this information in mind, you’re much more likely to find your perfect wearable this Black Friday. Stay tuned for our best Black Friday smartwatch deals.
When’s the best time to buy an Apple watch? Should you wait for Black Friday?
This year, the coinciding arrival of a new Apple watch and the Black Friday sales could make for some particularly appetising price drops on previous generations of Apple wearables.
While this is unlikely to affect the price of a brand new Apple Watch 7, we’re expecting to see some retailers offer lower prices on the Apple Watch 6, the Apple Watch SE and older models too. As a result, it seems the smartest bet to hold out until Black Friday until making your purchase.
You certainly wouldn’t be alone in searching for a new Apple watch on Black Friday either, last year 1,081,500 people searched for a combination of the terms “Apple watch” and “Black Friday” according to figures from SEMrush.
Right now, you can buy an Apple Watch 6 for around £355, while the Apple Watch 7 will cost £379 when it’s released “later this fall”.
In our full Apple Watch 6 review, we gave Apple’s last-gen wearable a four-and-a-half star rating, making it one of the most impressive pieces of wearable tech out there. Only a year on, it still stands up very well in the wearables market, and if prices are slashed this Black Friday, it will be a hugely appealing purchase for anyone looking for a new smartwatch.
How to get good Apple watch deals on Black Friday
- Check prices on Amazon. It’s always good to shop around, but starting with Amazon is a tried and tested way to get good deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Don’t rely on one site or retailer. This may sound slightly contradictory, but shopping around can often bag you the best deals online. While Amazon is often a great place to start, make sure you check with competing retailers like AO, Currys PC World and John Lewis before committing to a big purchase.
- Use price tracking tools. Tools like CamelCamelCamel to track Amazon pricing and ensure you’re getting a good deal.
- Sign up for newsletters. Tech and deals newsletters can be great signposts for the biggest Black Friday savings. Try our newsletter, which you can sign up for below.
- Check social media. During big sale events, some deals may be teased on social media ahead of their appearance on online stores. Keep an eye out.
- Compare online and in-store prices. If you’re shopping in-store, it can be good to check online prices with the same retailer. The fast-moving nature of big sales can mean that in-store and online prices occasionally move out of synch, so it’s a good way to make sure you’re getting the best deal from the retailer you choose.
Black Friday smartwatch deals: what offers were there last year?
Last year we saw the Apple Watch Series 5 plummet from £499 to £386 as part of Amazon’s Black Friday sale. Elsewhere, the Apple Watch Series 3, with a 42mm display and GPS, went as low as £80 on Very.com.
If we see equivalent price cuts this year, there are bound to be some temptingly priced Apple watches around. Particularly the Apple Watch SE, which currently retails at around £269. We may see this dip appetisingly below the £200-mark.
Keep an eye on the site for all the best Black Friday smartwatch deals as the big sale approaches. We’ll be updating you regularly on the best deals across a huge range of retailers and products.
Black Friday 2021 date: when will the Apple watch be on sale
Black Friday itself is the 26th of November, with Cyber Monday 2021 following shortly afterwards on the 29th.
Some retailers may make a head start on the deals before Black Friday itself, keen to attract attention away from the competition, so it’s worth keeping an eye on a few retailers before the official start of the event. However, the very best deals will be saved for Black Friday itself.
When the sales get underway, there will be a huge amount of online retailers offering deals across an equally huge range of consumer tech. Not to worry though, we’re going to be keeping you updated on all the very best deals that Black Friday and Cyber Monday have to offer. Stay tuned to our Black Friday smartwatch deals page for the latest on wearables or our general Black Friday 2021 page for the best deals across a wider range of products.