SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!
This article contains spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens so don’t read on if you haven’t seen it yet.
We all know that Kylo Ren (played by Adam Driver) is a seriously bad guy. A dark warrior with a penchant for slaughter, he commits a shocking murder in The Force Awakens as he follows in Darth Vader’s villainous footsteps.
But what if Ren is actually not as dark as he seems?
One Star Wars fan rushed home from seeing the movie to write up her dad’s theory that Ren is actually working for the light side and that he’s just pretending to be on the dark side so that he can kill supreme leader Snoke (sound familiar, Harry Potter fans?)
Here are the crucial points of the theory:
1) Ren is trying to help the light side by working for the dark side, with his ultimate aim to kill Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis). He’s bringing down the system from within.
2) This is why he feels so conflicted. He finds it unbelievably hard to devote himself to the dark side, but that’s what he has to do.
3) He talks to Darth Vader’s helmet because he’s going to finish what Anakin Skywalker started.
4) To become a Sith you have to sacrifice someone you love. And so Ren kills Han Solo to prove to Snoke that he is a real Sith.
5) When Ren asks Han, “will you help me?” he is asking Han whether he will die in order for Ren to complete his task. When Han replied “Yes. Anything,” he knows what Ren means.
So, according to this theory (all written in capitals, because the writer is so excited!) Ren is essentially an undercover agent whose mission is to save the galaxy with Rey, Finn, Luke, Leia and the rest of the heroes. Enlightening, isn’t it?