Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon sues the BBC alleging racial discrimination by Jeremy Clarkson

Producer who was subjected to a “physical and verbal assault” has filed court documents citing the Corporation and Clarkson over the incident in a move which could lead to compensation

imagenotavailable1

Oisin Tymon, the BBC producer whom a BBC inquiry found was subjected to “a physical and verbal attack”  by Jeremy Clarkson, has taken the Corporation and the former presenter to an employment tribunal.

Advertisement

Senior BBC sources have confirmed that Clarkson and the BBC attended a closed-door hearing with lawyers representing Oisin Tymon at a London employment tribunal on Friday.

The sources say that Tymon is still a BBC employee and that the case revolves around Tymon’s grievance regarding the “verbal abuse” that accompanied a physical attack during which Clarkson struck Tymon in March while filming what turned out to be the final Top Gear film.

It is understood that Tymon is seeking compensation which is believed to be in the region of six figures for personal injury relating to the attack and the alleged racial language used by Clarkson.

Clarkson’s “fracas” with the 36-year-old Irish producer, over the alleged failure to be served a hot meal at the end of a day filming Top Gear in north Yorkshire, prompted a BBC inquiry led by BBC Scotland boss Ken MacQuarrie and ultimately resulted in Clarkson’s departure from the BBC.

MacQuarrie concluded at the time that Tymon was “subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack” by Clarkson, during which he was “struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip”.

Tony Hall, the director general of the BBC, said Clarkson had subjected Tymon to “a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature”.

Following the publication of the report, Tymon informed police that he did not wish to press charges.

“I have been asked to issue a statement on behalf of my client Oisin Tymon regarding police enquiries in this matter,” Slater and Gordon lawyer Paul Daniels said in a statement.

“Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesn’t want to press charges,” Daniels confirmed. “The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.

“Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible. Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.

“Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC’s stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible,” Daniels concluded.

Advertisement

The BBC issued a statement which said: “We will be responding to this claim but will not be commenting further at this time.”