Back in September, Radio Times launched a quest to find the nation’s favourite film quote. You had your say – 2,500 of you, to be precise – and the nation has spoken.
Buzz Lightyear’s “To infinity… and beyond!” from family favourite Toy Story has topped our poll by a single vote.
Coming in an extremely close second is Michael Caine’s “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!” as Charlie Croker in 1969 British comedy, The Italian Job.
Rounding off the top three is Al Pacino’s “Say hello to my little friend,” playing Tony Montana in Scarface, with Terry Jones in Monty Python’s Life of Brian – “He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy” – and Roy Scheider’s Jaws line “You’re gonna need a bigger boat,” coming in at four and five.
“The response to our request for best movie quotes was gratifying. More than 2,500 of you contributed, including I imagine – given the enthusiasm shown for the Toy Story line – a good number of younger readers,” said Radio Times film critic Barry Norman.
“That, surely, reflects the continuing popularity of films as emotional and intellectual entertainment.
“Therein, perhaps, lies a message for television programmers: the audience – or at least the thinking part of it, which I believe is greater than most programmers seem to acknowledge – is just as interested in the content and quality of the films themselves as they are in interviews with the stars.”
Check out the top ten below:
1. “To infinity… and beyond.” Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) in Toy Story (1995)
2. “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.” Charlie Croker (Michael Caine) in The Italian Job (1969)
3. “Say hello to my little friend.” Tony Montana (Al Pacino) in Scarface (1983)
4. “He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy!” The mother of Brian (Terry Jones) in Monty Python (1979)
5. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” Brody (Roy Scheider) in Jaws (1975)
6. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!” Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) in Gone with the Wind (1939)
7. “Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me!” Julius Caesar (Kenneth Williams) in Carry on Cleo (1964)
8. “All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.” Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in Blade Runner (1982)
9. “Nobody’s perfect”. Osgood E Fielding III (Joe E Brown) in Some Like it Hot (1959)
10. “We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!” Withnail (Richard E Grant) in Withnail & I (1986)