PER SERVING 657 kcals, protein 3.5g, carbohydrate 78.3g, fat 35.9g, saturated fat 19.9g, fibre 1.9g, salt 0.24g
mixed frozen berries 500g, defrosted
kirsch or brandy 6 tbsp
trifle sponges 1 pack
mascarpone 250g tub
lemon curd 300g jar
granulated sugar 200g
cream 284ml pot
1. Mix the berries with kirsch and sweeten with a little icing sugar if you think they need it. Break as many trifle sponges as will fit in the base of your bowl into short lengths and add them to the berries. Turn them over in the berries with a spoon and then tip the lot into the base of your bowl.
2. Whisk the mascarpone with electric beaters until it gets slightly softer then fold in the lemon curd. Spoon this on top of the berries, cover with clingfilm and chill until you need it.
3. To make the caramel, put the sugar in a large, heavy-based pan (use a silver-coloured one if you can as it is much easier to see the colour of your caramel). Put the pan over a low heat and wait until the sugar starts to melt. Tip the pan gently from side to side to help the sugar melt evenly. Once it starts to colour, swirl the pan to keep the colour even and when it has reached a dark gold, dip the base of the pan in cold water to stop it cooking any further.
4. Tip the caramel out onto an oiled baking sheet on a heatproof surface and let it harden and cool. This will keep in an airtight container provided no moisture gets in – if it does the caramel will get sticky.
5. To serve, whip the cream to stiff peaks and dollop it over the surface of the lemon mascarpone. Break the caramel into shards and decorate.