PER SERVING 656 kcals, protein 4.7g, carbs 70g, fat 40g, sat fat 24.7g, fibre 1.7g, salt 0.96g
dates 275g, pitted and chopped
baking powder 1 tsp
golden caster sugar 125g
self-raising flour 125g
dark muscovado sugar 200g
double cream 250ml
1. Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the dates in a saucepan with the whisky and 150ml water.
1. Bring to the boil, add the baking powder (it will froth) and then leave dates to soak until cool. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Then beat the eggs in one at a time, stir in the flour, then the date mixture. Pour into a buttered brownie tin 22cm square. Bake for 30 minutes until cooked through (test with a skewer).
1. For the sauce, put the butter, muscovado sugar and cream in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring, then simmer for 3 minutes.
1. When the pudding is ready, remove from the oven and pour over enough sauce to make a sticky glaze. Put back in the oven for 2 minutes.
1. Cut into squares and serve with more sauce poured over and with cream or ice cream. Cuts into 9–12 squares