“Television is better than the movies. Yes it is – it’s just better,” Steven Moffat told us at a Radio Times-sponsored event at the Cheltenham Literature Festival last week.
True, the man behind two of Britain’s biggest TV hits might have a vested interest in promoting the merits of the small screen over the big. But the Sherlock and Doctor Who exec has his reasons – and some of them are pretty hard to argue with.
Here’s why Moffat thinks watching TV is better than going to the cinema – with a little help from his friends…
1. “You don’t have to walk so far to see it”
2. “You can choose your chair”
3. “There aren’t other people”
4. “When you want to go to the loo in the middle you can just pause it!”
5. “If you like it so much that you want to watch it twice, you can’t go up to the cinema protection room and say ‘Pop it on again, will you?'”