Last month Peter Capaldi became the envy of scores of actors, and filled column inches across the globe, when he landed one of the most coveted roles on television. Now the new star of Doctor Who has found his way onto 2013’s list of the most inspirational and influential over-50s alongside the likes of Jose Mourinho, EL James and Andrew Marr.
The 55-year-old actor, also known for his role as sweary spin doctor Malcolm Tucker on The Thick of It, places third on this year’s list compiled by website high50.com, behind Angela Ahrendts – Burberry’s CEO and the highest earning person in the FTSE 100 – and 50-year-old Helen Hunt, who received an Oscar nomination earlier this year for her role in The Sessions.
Returning Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is positioned fourth, followed by EL James, author of the best-selling Fifty Shades trilogy.
Also featured in the top ten are tennis coach Ivan Lendl, who helped Andy Murray to his maiden Wimbledon title earlier this year, and journalist and broadcaster Andrew Marr, who suffered a debilitating stroke back in January and made a return to his presenting duties last weekend.
Hunt, Mourinho and James have all turned 50 in the past twelve months, with 60-year-old US musician Nile Rodgers the oldest entrant on this year’s list.
Take a look at the top ten below:
1. Angela Ahrendts (53) – Burberry CEO
2. Helen Hunt (50) – actress, producer, director
3. Peter Capaldi (55) – The Thick of It actor recently announced as the latest incarnation of the Doctor
4. Jose Mourinho (50) – Chelsea Football Club manager
5. E.L. James (50) – Fifty Shades of Grey author
6. Tilda Swinton (52) – actress, model, campaigner
7. Grayson Perry (51) – artist, presenter, cultural commentator
8. Nile Rodgers (60) – American musician and producer who worked with Daft Punk
9. Ivan Lendl (53) – tennis coach
10. Andrew Marr (53) – BBC journalist and broadcaster