From cars and Chinese restaurants to Twitter and treason, test your knowledge of our royal family…
1. The Queen is currently patron of over 900 charities and organisations.
False. But at 600 the number is still impressively high! What can we say? She’s one busy Lizzie.
2. Elizabeth II is something of a social media whizz.
True. She’s got a Twitter, Flickr and Facebook page. (Though we think it highly unlikely that she is the keeper of the passwords.) Our monarch’s official social media presence is not to be confused with spoof account @Queen_UK. That is, unless you fancy a gin-related giggle.
3. Queen Elizabeth has one very special royal throne.
False. One throne? Don’t be ridiculous. She’s got nine. Six of which are in Buckingham Palace’s Throne Room. You know, in case she fancies a game of musical chairs…
4. The Queen passed her driving test all the way back in 1945.
False. She did learn to drive in 1945 but the cheeky madam doesn’t actually need a license to drive a car. She’s actually the only person in the UK legally allowed behind the wheel without passing a driving test.
5. Our monarch sends signals to her staff using her handbag.
True. If you ever find yourself talking to the Queen and she moves her handbag from one arm to the other, it’s time to shut up.
6. There is a mini-branch of Her Majesty’s bank Coutts & Co inside Buckingham Palace.
False. The Queen does have her very own cash machine though. Now that’s service.
7. It is considered treasonous to stick a stamp bearing the Queen’s image upside down.
True. Although no one has ever been arrested or thrown in the tower for doing it. Yet…
8. The Queen has sent around 45,000 Christmas cards during her reign.
True. Sadly RadioTimes.com is yet to receive one. Must be some sort of mistake…
9. During her time on the throne the Queen has been given an elephant, a whale and a shark as gifts.
False. It’s not that silly a statement though. Her presents have included jaguars, sloths and beavers…
10. The Queen’s real birthday is on 21 April. But she officially celebrates it two months later.
True. Apparently royals elect to move their birthdays to the summer where they are more likely to have good weather. Sounds like a good idea to us!
11. Queen Elizabeth’s birth place is now a pizza restaurant.
False. It’s actually a Chinese. From humble beginnings, eh?
12. Talking of birth… the Home Secretary must be present at every royal birth to ensure no illegitimate babies are smuggled in.
False. It did used to be the case but don’t worry, Kate, Teresa May doesn’t have to be there…
13. Over the last 60 years, the Queen has answered around three and a half million items of correspondence.
True. Your chances of receiving a hand written reply are sill fairly low… but you never know!
14. The Queen speaks fluent French.
True. Ooh la la!
15. The Queen’s favourite magazines are The Lady, Thoroughbred Owner and Breeder and… Radio Times.