The Big Bang Theory is back on E4 tonight after a mid-season break, so what better time to get your geek on and test your intimate knowledge of the show? Take our challenging quiz to find out how well you really know the science-centric sitcom…
True or false?
1. The actors who play Leonard and Penny actually dated for two years during filming.
True – but the once loved-up pair kept their relationship a secret until after they had broken up…
2. The show’s original working title was Lenny, Penny and Kenny.
True. Everyone loves a rhyme, but we think we prefer The Big Bang Theory, don’t you?
3. In real life, Kunal Nayyar, the actor who plays Raj, is just as unlucky in love as his character.
False. In fact that couldn’t be further from the truth – the lucky lad is actually married to Miss India 2006…
4. Lenoard’s last name is a reference to two famous scientists.
True – Leonard is named after physicist Robert Hofstader and his son Douglas.
5. Sheldon has been seen working on numerous equations and experiments during the series, including the Prestidigitation Approximation and the Vartabedian Conundrum.
False – these are actually episode titles. Others include The Panty Piñata Polarization, The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis and The Zazzy Substitution.
6. Sheldon’s catchphrase “bazinga” is so popular that a new species of bee has been named after it.
7. Penny’s surname is Jones.
False – the surname of Leonard’s love interest has never actually been revealed…
8. Howard once used a ventriloquist’s dummy to try to snare a date.
True. Sadly this is in fact a truth. And Wolowitz’s desperate attempts to get a girlfriend don’t stop there. Think magic tricks, “peacocking” and some pretty appalling chat up lines.
9. Mayim Bialik, who plays Sheldon’s squeeze Amy Farrah Fowler, has a PHD in Neuroscience, just like her character…
True. The clever clogs has balanced acting with her passion for science. What a gal.
10. Penny was the first character the show’s creators developed and the starting point for the friendship group.
False. The lead female was originally called Katie. She was more streetwise and rough around the edges than the Penny we know and love. In an unseen pilot she was played by actress Amanda Walsh.