Coronation Street fans think Anna Windass will walk free after tonight’s big verdict

Debbie Rush's character is in the dock after being set up by the villainous Pat Phelan, but fans don't think she'll stay there for long...

FROM ITV 

STRICT EMBARGO 
Print media - No Use Before Tuesday 16 January 2018
Online Media -  No Use Before 0700hrs Tuesday 16 January 2018

Coronation Street - Ep 9360

Monday 22nd January 2018 - 2nd Ep

When Tim Metcalfe [JOE DUTTINE] is called as a witness he’s forced to admit that he and Gary encouraged Seb to change his story, Anna Windass’ [DEBBIE RUSH] heart sinks whilst Phelan looks like the cat who’s got the cream. As the judge sums up the case what will be the verdict? 

Picture contact - david.crook@itv.com

Photographer - Mark Bruce

This photograph is (C) ITV Plc and can only be reproduced for editorial purposes directly in connection with the programme or event mentioned above, or ITV plc. Once made available by ITV plc Picture Desk, this photograph can be reproduced once only up until the transmission [TX] date and no reproduction fee will be charged. Any subsequent usage may incur a fee. This photograph must not be manipulated [excluding basic cropping] in a manner which alters the visual appearance of the person photographed deemed detrimental or inappropriate by ITV plc Picture Desk. This photograph must not be syndicated to any other company, publication or website, or permanently archived, without the express written permission of ITV Plc Picture Desk. Full Terms and conditions are available on the website www.itvpictures.com

Coronation Street fans will be watching with baited breath tonight as the verdict in Anna’s trial is revealed, but the majority of them are convinced that the jury will side with the innocent Weatherfield woman and set her free.

Advertisement

Anna was sent to prison late last year after being framed by villainous Pat Phelan following Seb Franklin’s fall from his window cleaner’s ladder. Pat had initially pressured Seb to lie and say Anna had pushed him, but following Luke’s murder the young lad changed his mind about the bad builder and turned on him in court.

Scenes broadcast on Friday night saw Seb changing his story and admitting that he had no idea if Anna had caused his fall or not, before telling the jury that Pat had an axe to grind with Anna and told him what to say to the police. However, Eileen later uncovered CCTV footage of  Tim Metcalfe and Anna’s son Gary Windass apparently threatening Seb, putting an entirely different spin on the boy’s testimony. Tim was forced to come clean about his attempts to encourage the teen to change his story, which could threaten the validity of Seb’s new tale.

We’ve asked more than 1,300 RadioTimes.com readers to tell us whether they think Anna would get justice, and 61% of those surveyed are convinced that Ms Windass will walk free. The other 39%, however, don’t hold out much hope for her when the verdict is finally revealed this evening.

Whether she’s found innocent or guilty, we’ll soon be saying goodbye to actress Debbie Rush. The long-serving star leaves the soap this year after a decade as Anna.

“I took about two years to make the decision to go. The show has been really good to me – I’ve been really lucky and had great storylines and feel highly respected by my colleagues” Rush previously said of her decision to quit the cobbles. “It’s scary to leave a lovely job like this, but I just want to be creative again somewhere else.”

Could the trial serve as her final farewell? You’ll have to tune in tonight at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV to find out.

You can watch a 60-second rundown of this week’s episodes of Coronation Street below.

Advertisement

And visit our dedicated Coronation Street page for all the latest news, interviews and spoilers.