Alec Baldwin has said that Hollywood’s “renunciation” of Woody Allen is “unfair and sad”.
In recent weeks, numerous actors have apologised for working with the director in light of the sexual abuse allegations brought against him by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow.
Allen was first accused by Farrow of sexual assault in 1993, when she was seven-years-old. He has always denied the claims. Last year, Farrow wrote an opinion piece for The LA Times asking why the #MeToo movement had not yet put him under the same scrutiny as disgraced media mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Lady Bird director Greta Gerwig – who starred in Allen’s film To Rome With Love – vowed never to work with him again and Mira Sorvino, who acted in his comedy Mighty Aphrodite, apologised for working with Allen.
Baldwin sent two tweets in defence of Allen on Tuesday, pointing out that the director had been investigated by the police and no charges had been brought. He said that working with Allen was “one of the privileges of my career”.
Woody Allen was investigated forensically by two states (NY and CT) and no charges were filed. The renunciation of him and his work, no doubt, has some purpose. But it’s unfair and sad to me. I worked w WA 3 times and it was one of the privileges of my career.
Is it possible to support survivors of pedophilia and sexual assault/abuse and also believe that WA is innocent? I think so. The intention is not to dismiss or ignore such complaints. But accusing ppl of such crimes should be treated carefully. On behalf of the victims, as well.