Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo are asking the nation’s budding filmmakers to get creative for the second year of the Well Done U competition.
Radio 5 Live’s critical duo launched the short film contest today, announcing that the age for entrants has been lowered to just 13 – at Mayo’s insistence.
“What impressed us most last time we ran the competition was the sheer breadth of styles and genres that were entered,” said Mayo. “We had everything from slapstick comedy to silent arthouse to animated comic book adventures.
“In fact, the only thing our shortlist had in common is that they were suitable for all audiences. And with the age limit this year being just 13 we’re really looking forward to seeing what our young filmmakers can create.”
Kermode added: “The standard of entries was very high, and the sheer creativity on show was staggering.”
The winner will have their film shown at a central London cinema as part of special outside broadcast of Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review, and receive an official BBFC classification certificate.
Entries should be no longer than two minutes and must meet the BBFC’s U classification.
Bafta award-winning filmmaker Amma Asante (who directed last year’s Belle) will join the pair for the final round of judging: “We may be seeing the first film of someone who goes on to direct features” she said, “but most of all I hope people simply have a go at making a film.”
The closing date for entries is Friday 28th August 2015 at 6pm.