“Battered, but OK” – Harrison Ford in hospital following plane crash

The Star Wars actor crash landed after the small plane he was flying suffered engine failure, but the injuries "are not life threatening"

imagenotavailable1

Harrison Ford has been taken to hospital after crash landing a small plane on a golf course in Los Angeles.

Advertisement

The Star Wars and Indiana Jones actor was taken to hospital on Thursday 5 March after the World War 2-era vintage plane he was flying stalled and crashed.

Paramedics found 72-year-old Jones “alert and conscious” at the crash site with “moderate injuries”, according to Patrick Butler, Los Angeles assistant fire chief. He was then taken to hospital.

His son Ben later tweeted, “At the hospital. Dad is ok. Battered, but ok! He is every bit the man you think he is. He is an incredibly strong man.”

Jones’s publicist released a statement confirming that the actor was expected to make a full recovery: “Harrison was flying a WW2 vintage plane today which stalled upon take off,” the statement read. “He had no other choice but to make an emergency landing, which he did safely. He was banged up and is in the hospital receiving medical care. The injuries sustained are not life threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery.”

Shortly after take off, Ford told Santa Monica Airport that he had suffered engine failure and requested “immediate return”, but was unable to reach the runway, instead making an ’emergency landing’ on Penmar golf course.

Ford is an experienced pilot and has reportedly been involved in at least one previous accident.

Patrick Jones, a National Transportation Safety Board investigator, said in a press conference, “I’m sure the pilot is glad that there was a golf course there,” adding that the investigation into the crash would begin this Friday. “This is the very beginning of the investigation. We’ll look at everything: man, machine, everything,” he said.

Advertisement

Ford broke his leg on the set of Star Wars Episode VII last year. It was recently confirmed that he would feature in the sequel to the sci-fi classic Blade Runner. Filming is expected to begin in 2016.