Facebook turns ten today. Happy birthday Facebook! Bet most of you don’t remember the days of this…
Yes, way back in 2004 we had the mysterious Facebook man apparently based on a young photo of Al Pacino, we had the sidebar, we had groupies (whatever they were?) and, apparently, we used RateMyProfessors.com… Hmm. Fast-forward ten years – and countless transformations – and our profile pages, sorry, timelines today are almost unrecognisable:
But that’s not the only makeover Facebook’s undergone in the past decade…
1. Since 2004, Facebook has grown to more than one billion active users – that’s one sixth of the world’s population. If Facebook was a country, it would be the third largest in the world by population.
2. 201.6 billion friend connections have been made since Facebook first launched.
3. 7.8 trillion messages have been sent using Facebook since the start of 2012.
4. Facebook gets more than 6 billion likes per day on average
5. The consultancy iStrategyLabs reports Facebook has lost 3 million teens in the United States since 2011, while the number of over-55 users rose 80%.
6. The top page on Facebook in the UK is Family Guy. Of its 55,144,289 likes, 4,481,025 come from us.
7. The most liked celebrity page is Rihanna with 84,870,224 thumbs up.
8.FC Barcelona is the top sports team page with 53,659,669 likes.
9. Pope Francis was Facebook’s most talked about topic worldwide in 2013. In the UK we posted most about Wimbledon champion, Andy Murray.
10. The top check-in spot in the UK is The O2 in London.