Nigella Lawson: Since the trial I've eaten a lot of chocolate

In her first television interview since the trial that exposed details of her private life, the TV cook told Good Morning America “To dwell on any of it would be self pity”

Comments
Nigella Lawson: Since the trial I've eaten a lot of chocolate
Written By
Paul Jones

Nigella Lawson says she’s been doing her best to put the recent fraud trial that exposed details of her private life behind her.

In her first television interview since her assistants Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo were found not guilty of fraud in a trial at which Nigella testified, the TV cook told hosts on US magazine show Good Morning America “since then I've eaten a lot of chocolate, had a very good Christmas and am into the New Year.”

Issues raised during the trial included allegations of Nigella's drug use and details of her deteriorating relationship with husband Charles Saatchi, whom she divorced in July.

Nigella admitted that having information about her home life made public had been extremely difficult but said she wanted to avoid self pity.

"To have not only your private life but distortions of your private life put on display is mortifying," she said. "But there are people going through an awful lot worse and to dwell on any of it would be self pity and I don't like to do that.”

The 53-year-old said her main concern had been ensuring her children were not affected by the trial and the media circus that accompanied it.

"My only desire really was to protect my children as much as possible which, alas, I couldn't always do," she said.

The Grillo sisters were cleared of defrauding Saatchi out of £685,000 they spent on company credit cards bearing his name.

Nigella was guesting on Good Morning America to promote her popular US culinary series The Taste, a UK version of which comes to Channel 4 on Tuesday.

The Taste is on Channel 4 at 9pm on Tuesday 3 January


 


Add new comment

Ads by Google