1. Hanks is listed as the highest-grossing actor of all time by Box Office Mojo, with his movies raking in an average of $101.8 million
2. Hanks is one of a tiny elite group of stars to win back-to-back Best Actor Oscars – in 1994 for his part in Philadelphia and in 1995 for Forrest Gump
3. When Tom Hanks met the Queen, they discussed Shakespeare and playing the piano. As you do
4. Forget stamps, Tom Hanks collects typewriters
5. We know he's good in a space movie, but it turns out Hanks also has an asteroid named after him: 12818 tomhanks. Keep an eye out for it...
6. In a case of life imitating art, Hanks is said to have fallen through a rotting floor while scouting locations for Band of Brothers. It's more than a little reminiscent of a scene from 1986 film The Money Pit in which his character finds himself trapped in a hole in the floor.
7. Hanks says his Apollo 13 co-stars Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton shared the “foulest jokes imaginable” during filming on the space drama
8. Hanks had to learn how to scuba dive for mermaid comedy Splash. During filming there was an air-filled underwater 'phone booth' where he’d meet Ron Howard for direction. Oh, and he had iron weights in his trousers to keep him from floating to the surface
9. For his role as Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code, Hanks hired a former Los Angeles lifeguard, who’d appeared in Baywatch, to help him improve his swimming technique
10. Hanks may provide the voice for Woody the cowboy in the Toy Story films, but his younger brother Jim does the honurs in many of the video game spin-offs
Read our review of Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips out in cinemas from 18 October