You’ve probably sat at home yelling at quiz contestants, thinking you can do a better job than them and scoop a hefty cash prize. But what about the quizmasters themselves? How would you fare against them?
First, let’s meet the teams…
The News Quiz
Rebecca Front: “I’m a terrible hypochondriac. Whenever a medical question comes up, I know the answer.”
Sandi Toksvig: "I’m most comfortable having the answers in front of me, smirking and saying, I can’t believe you don’t know the answer to this!”
Pub quiz team name: The Wild Guessers
Alexander Armstrong: “On Pointless I get very excited when I know an answer and really struggle not to blurt it out and show everyone how clever I am!”
Richard Osman: “If, like me, you’re not sporty but you’re good at learning facts then a quiz show is exercise for the brain. Keep-fit for clever people.”
Pub quiz team name: The Excellent Contestant
Dermot Murnaghan: “I don’t fancy our chances with such stiff competition! As the great philosopher Clint Eastwood once said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”
Jeremy Vine: “I waslked into a pub while a quiz was going on with one of the Eggheads, and it fell deathly silent. It was like a scene from Gunfight at the OK Corral.”
Pub quiz team name: Fried or scrambled?
RT Pub Quiz Round 1: News and views
1. Benedict XVI resigned as Pope this year. From which country is his replacement?
2. If you were born on 28 June, what star sign would be you?
3. Which UK constituency did Margaret Thatcher contest twice and lose?
4. According to the Chinese calendar, 2013 is the year of the what?
5. In the USA, ZIP codes are celebrating their 50th anniversary, but what does ZIP stand for?
6. According to custom, women may propose marriage to men only in leap years. If a lady is a stickler for tradition, what year would she next be able to get on bended knee?
7. In February, it was confirmed that the body of Richard III had been dug up in a car park in Leicester. How many years did he reign?
8. Which horse won this year’s Grand National?
9. The Shard, which opened to the public this year, is the tallest building in western Europe. To the nearest thousand, how many panels of glass does it have?
10. Which new Monopoly playing piece is being introduced to the famous board game in 2013? Bonus point: what is it replacing?