1. Whose proud father failed to keep it together in a BBC interview with Clare Balding at the Aquatics Centre after his “beautiful” boy won gold?
Chad le Clos
2. Manchester City’s last-gasp win against QPR on the final day of the season signalled a tipping of the balance in the Manchester rivalry. When was the last time City finished above Manchester United in the league?
3. Which Formula 1 driver followed up his maiden Grand Prix victory by carrying his 12-year-old cousin Manuel to safety after a fire broke out in his team’s garage?
4. What was the chair of choice for Bradley Wiggins, he of the Gladstone sideburns, after his Olympic time-trial endeavours?
A royal throne
5. What was the name of the Italian midfielder who buried England's European Championship hopes from the penalty spot with an audacious chip?
6. Rory McIlroy arrived in a police car for his Ryder Cup singles match against Keegan Bradley after getting confused about his tee time. How many minutes did he have to spare before he teed off?
7. What animal was mischievously smuggled onto the pitch at Ewood Park in protest at Blackburn Rovers’ owners Venky’s last May?
8. Which British Lions and Welsh rugby hero, nicknamed “Merv the Swerve”, died this year aged 65, two days before Wales won their third Six Nations Grand Slam in eight years?
9. Andy Murray became the first British male to win a tennis Grand Slam championship since Fred Perry in 1936. Murray won the US Open on exactly the same date as Perry’s last Grand Slam victory – what was that date?
10. The Olympics’ Super Saturday saw Greg Rutherford, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah all become Olympic champions in the space of 46 minutes. But how many medals did Team GB win in total that Saturday?
7 (six golds, one silver)